Need Help, Clutch / Gearbox Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help, Clutch / Gearbox Problem

To Anyone Who Can Help, I Have A 1989 Surf 2447td Manual Transmission, It Has A Rancho Suspension Upgrade And Big Wheels And Tyres.
    Last Week While Towing With It, The Car Devloped Problems Symptomatic Of A Worn Out Clutch, I.e. While Trying To Accelerate In Gear The Engine Would Rev High But Only A Small Amount Of Power Would Go To The Wheels, As If You Were Slipping The Clutch.
    Assuming The Clutch Was Worn I Had A Mechanic Replace It For Me, The Old Clutch Was Almost Worn Out But Still Had A Little Life In It.
    The New Clutch Did Not Solve The Problem, The Mechanic Looked At It Again And Thinking He May Have Installed A Faulty New Clutch He Replaced It With Another 1 To No Avail.
    It Was Then Suggested That It May Be The Transfer Box So I Replaced This With A Second Hand 1, But The Problem Persisted.
    I Was Also Told That The Vehicle May Have A Limited Slip Diff In The Rear Axle So I Disconnected The Rear Prop Shaft And Put It Into 4wd Powereing Only The Front Wheels, But Still No Luck.
    The Car Seems To Go Into All Gears Fine And In And Out Of 2wd, 4h And 4l Easily.
    There Does Not Appear To Be Any Oil Getting On The Clutch.
    The Mechanic Says That When Looking Through The Inspection Panel He Can See The Clutch Releasing Fully.
    All The Symptoms Point To A Fault In The Clutch But I Am Now Totally At A Loss And Can't Use My Beloved Car, If Anyone Can Help With Either A Solution Or The Loan Of A Gallon Of Petrol And A Match I Would Be Eternally Grateful.
    Many Thanks Jez.

Originally posted by JEZ
    To Anyone Who Can Help, I Have A 1989 Surf 2447td Manual Transmission, It Has A Rancho Suspension Upgrade And Big Wheels And Tyres.
    Last Week While Towing With It, The Car Devloped Problems Symptomatic Of A Worn Out Clutch, I.e. While Trying To Accelerate In Gear The Engine Would Rev High But Only A Small Amount Of Power Would Go To The Wheels, As If You Were Slipping The Clutch.
    Assuming The Clutch Was Worn I Had A Mechanic Replace It For Me, The Old Clutch Was Almost Worn Out But Still Had A Little Life In It.
    The New Clutch Did Not Solve The Problem, The Mechanic Looked At It Again And Thinking He May Have Installed A Faulty New Clutch He Replaced It With Another 1 To No Avail.
    It Was Then Suggested That It May Be The Transfer Box So I Replaced This With A Second Hand 1, But The Problem Persisted.
    I Was Also Told That The Vehicle May Have A Limited Slip Diff In The Rear Axle So I Disconnected The Rear Prop Shaft And Put It Into 4wd Powereing Only The Front Wheels, But Still No Luck.
    The Car Seems To Go Into All Gears Fine And In And Out Of 2wd, 4h And 4l Easily.
    The Mechanic Says That When Looking Through The Inspection Panel He Can See The Clutch Releasing Fully.
    All The Symptoms Point To A Fault In The Clutch But I Am Now Totally At A Loss And Can't Use My Beloved Car, If Anyone Can Help With Either A Solution Or The Loan Of A Gallon Of Petrol And A Match I Would Be Eternally Grateful.
    Many Thanks Jez.
    what sort of condition is the face of the flywheel in
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by JEZ
      Many Thanks Jez.
      Could be glazed face on flywheel or flywheel itself.

I have a similar problem with my '92 2.4.It has been suggested that it is a hydraulic problem.Some pressure may be remaining in the line which prevents full pressure on the flywheel causing the clutch to slip.

Do you have a valve type unit on the left side of the firewall which is part of the hydraulic system for the clutch? I have been trying to get info on how this works and if this could be part of the problem.Maybe someone on your side of the world can help.

Neville

Comment

having put in a new clutch, poured mucho money into new parts for the gearbox, and having put in both new master and slave cylinders, all i have on the LHS of the firewall is my master cylinder, no valves attached. Have heard that a resurfaced flywheel is a must when putting in a new clutch although I didnt have it done, but then I didnt really need a new clutch and only found out the hard way like Jez is.

Comment

Most Surf imports have a 3 piece flywheel, make sure its all fixed to gether properly. I'm not sure how they work but have read stuff on Oz sites about them seperating. could be your slipping problem.

UK trucks have a solid flywheel, and Milners only list the solid one for surfs so you may be able to swap one in if the 3 peice one is expensive.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

not clutch FLYWHEEL

The duellmass flywheel has broken need a solid one from 4 runner with new revised clutch problem sorted,end of story......

Comment

Working...
            X