Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Vrs Auto

Hi All,

I used to have a 2.4 SSRX auto and I got a 3.0 TD SSRG Auto. I have some questions as I sold my surf a while back and am looking in the not so distante future to get another but, and there's a but!

I would really like to know about the manual surfs and wanted to know the differences in the 2

like for e.g.

1) Is a manual better on economy than an auto on long and short journeys?

2) What is the average MPG of a manual?

3) Is a auto better for towing than a manual?

4) Does a manual gearbox take more of a pounding than a auto gearbox?

I really liked my auto but noticed it would stick in a gear for longer than it would normally if I had been driving a manual. Is there anyone in the South Wales area who has a manual that can shed some light on these questions? Someone must have asked this before.

Also can anyone tell me the what the differences in names mean?

SSR-G
    SSR-X
    SSR-V

Can anyone help with the facts?

Many Thanks Matt
    Last edited by hamondo; 12 February 2007, 21:00. Reason: mistake
    Process of elimination.....

Originally posted by hamondo
    Hi All,

I used to have a 2.4 SSRX auto and I got a 3.0 TD SSRG Auto. I have some questions as I sold my surf a while back and am looking in the not so distante future to get another but, and there's a but!

I would really like to know about the manual surfs and wanted to know the differences in the 2

like for e.g.

1) Is a manual better on economy than an auto on long and short journeys?

2) What is the average MPG of a manual?

3) Is a auto better for towing than a manual?

4) Does a manual gearbox take more of a pounding than a auto gearbox?

I really liked my auto but noticed it would stick in a gear for longer than it would normally if I had been driving a manual. Is there anyone in the South Wales area who has a manual that can shed some light on these questions? Someone must have asked this before.

Also can anyone tell me the what the differences in names mean?

SSR-G
    SSR-X
    SSR-V

Can anyone help with the facts?

Many Thanks Matt
    1. Yes
    2. I'd say 2 or 3 mpg
    3. I would have thought so. But go on holiday somewhere sunny and stay in hotel, it's nice .
    4. In what context? Manuals are more likely to go wrong (on a surf) but are easier to fix so it all kind of evens out.

I've not noticed my auto sticking in gear at all, maybe just a different preference in when we change gears.

SSR-G is the top spec and comes with a recaro interior. SSR-X is the next down (there is SSR-X Ltd in between I suppose) and SSR-V is the one down from that. The only real difference is the interior. Everything else is optional and can be found on any of the models but was standard the higher up you went.

Comment

No. 2

I get 18-22 mpg from my 2.4 td manual.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I get 27 - 32 out of my 3.0L Manual, all depends on how heavy my foot is feeling each day

Comment

I doubt that the difference between transmission types is going to make a big difference in fuel economy (and you don’t buy a Surf for its MPG).

Having borrowed my Dad’s little Ford Fiesta while my Surf is being fixed I can honestly say that I really do prefer an auto. Especially driving trough slow moving city traffic. I don’t think I’d ever go back to a manual gearbox unless it was in a sports car.
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
            I doubt that the difference between transmission types is going to make a big difference in fuel economy (and you don’t buy a Surf for its MPG).

Having borrowed my Dad’s little Ford Fiesta while my Surf is being fixed I can honestly say that I really do prefer an auto. Especially driving trough slow moving city traffic. I don’t think I’d ever go back to a manual gearbox unless it was in a sports car.
            I agree, however sports cars with Automatic transmissions are fun too......

I drove a MGF Roadster for a week once and that was a 1.8 auto. Shoite off a shovel....
            www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
              I agree, however sports cars with Automatic transmissions are fun too......

I drove a MGF Roadster for a week once and that was a 1.8 auto. Shoite off a shovel....

Yeah, but they look like shoite on a shovel!

Comment

Working...
              X