Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Speed and Engine Check Light

Hi all,

Need some help - my 2.4 TD truck has recently developed a problem with the idle speed. The idle speed is normally 800rpm however when idling, my truck idle speed intermittently jumps to 1000rpm. This change in idle speed is sometimes accompanied with a 'clunk' however not always. This also does not look to be related to the idle-up button as this takes my idle speed to 1500rpm.

My engine check light has been coming on intermittently also and appears to be related, however I cannot be 100% sure this happens when the idle speed changes, as it happens when driving.

I don't have a clue where to start looking and if I put it into a garage then no doubt it will not happen when the car is in.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

When ever the red engine check light comes on while driving, there is a fault and it will be stored in the engine computer.

You'll need to extract the code to determine what to do next.....

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...ibleCauses.doc

Comment

Thanks Vince,

Looks like a trip to the local garage.

Maybe should have mentioned that I changed the air filter recently and the small air flow probe on the filter housing does not seem to be working since, as my turbo light is not coming on, even though the turbo is definitely spooling up. Wondering if this may have anything to do with the problems on idle speed.

Cheers,

Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by martsco
        Thanks Vince,

Looks like a trip to the local garage.

Maybe should have mentioned that I changed the air filter recently and the small air flow probe on the filter housing does not seem to be working since, as my turbo light is not coming on, even though the turbo is definitely spooling up. Wondering if this may have anything to do with the problems on idle speed.

Cheers,

Scott.

Sounds like you've knocked one of the small diameter vacuum pipes off from around the throttle body, the pipes that go from the turbo pressure sensor thats bolted to the inner wing next to the air filter housing (looks like a relay), to the throttle body (the part where the throttle cable connects to.

Have a look around there first to see if anthing looks disconnected before handing over wads of cash.

Comment

Warning light was indicating fault with the air temperature sensor.

Found a missing hose from the throttle body to the relay as you described. Stuck it back on and hay presto, no engine warning light and turbo light working again. Truck seems to have a bit more oomph as well.

Still have problems with idle speed but I can live with that for the time being.

Thanks for the help Vince.

Comment

Working...
          X