• Show
Clear All

• Glow Plugs

Glow plugs:

Where are they

How do I check them

Are they hard to replace

Are they expensive

I know they heat the diesel pre ignition, is that it then, are they unused again till the next startup. Do they screw into the head like a spark plug. I know feck all about glow plugs, so someone gimme the low down please. Why didnt they call them glope lugs huh??

Originally posted by JimL
    Glow plugs:

Where are they

How do I check them

Are they hard to replace

Are they expensive

I know they heat the diesel pre ignition, is that it then, are they unused again till the next startup. Do they screw into the head like a spark plug. I know feck all about glow plugs, so someone gimme the low down please. Why didnt they call them glope lugs huh??
    Jim.

Yes they are fitted in the head on the passenger side of the head, just like small Spark plugs. They are all connected together by a busbar which is attached to the inlet manifold by a single bolt however you need to be carefull about the washers and insulators so that you get them back correct. You need a 14mm deeo socket to remove them. To check them you really need a proper tester, however I think you can test them with an ohmeter to test resitance across them.

I don't think they are that expensive.

Should take you about 20 minutes to change all 4.

Cheers

Comment

Glow plugs:

Where are they

How do I check them

Are they hard to replace

Are they expensive

jim, easy way to check them, take of the wire connecting them together and the power wire too, get yourself a piece of 12 volt wire hold one end on the positive terminal of the battery, touch the other end on top of the glow plug (threaded bit at top) if you get a spark they are ok, if you dont they are dead and need replacing
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Thanks lads

Comment

Thanks lads
          jim this is the little buggers
          Attached Files
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
            jim this is the little buggers
            great ian, pics at this crack are always a big

(now you can stick them back in your surf )

I cant stop scratchin the head coz in a recent thread, someone said her mechanic had ruled out injectors and glow plugs as the cause of her dodgy starts because the engine ran smooth when warmed up...doesnt make sense to rule out the glow plugs to me anyway...

I checked the glow plug fuse at 5pm 2nite - no probs, will try to test plugs tomorrow eve

Comment

great ian, pics at this crack are always a big

(now you can stick them back in your surf )

I cant stop scratchin the head coz in a recent thread, someone said her mechanic had ruled out injectors and glow plugs as the cause of her dodgy starts because the engine ran smooth when warmed up...doesnt make sense to rule out the glow plugs to me anyway...

I checked the glow plug fuse at 5pm 2nite - no probs, will try to test plugs tomorrow eve
              they are dead ones jim, if one glow plug is down you'll notice a difference in starting, once the engine is warm it starts without the glow plugs, on diesels if the compression is low usually a worn engine it will run lumpy for a couple of minutes till its warmed up, any starting problems check glow plugs first
              [size=5][/size]

Comment

hehe, A motor that is rough when starting/cold but fine when warm is an ideal candidate for dodgy glowplugs!

Damn mech's
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  hehe, A motor that is rough when starting/cold but fine when warm is an ideal candidate for dodgy glowplugs!

Damn mech's
                  I replaced all my glow plugs recently, but it still runs rough when cold. They all have power to them. When i bought them the guy said there were two kinds, a 7 second and a 12 second. He recommeended the 12 second. Should i have gotten the 7's. Does anyone know!

Yours sincerely

Rough Starter
                  Derek :
                  1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                  [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Yeah! I always wait for the click. Maybe my ingin is foooked!
                    Derek :
                    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                      HAve you 'redex'ed' it lately? A good clean other helps. Diesel is a bugger for blocking stuff up with gunk.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Delboy change run the bitch dry. I had no ignition probs before I did that. Maybe if you go the opposite way you'll find Mecca

Comment

I put some petrol in to clean the injectors, etc fairly regularly, so it runs really clean. 0.5 on my emissions test! ( or was that my I.Q. test )Maybe they're ****ty cheap glow plugs i got. Could that be it?
                          Derek :
                          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                            dont wait for the box clicking off your plugs are cooling down then, start it before
                            [size=5][/size]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                              dont wait for the box clicking off your plugs are cooling down then, start it before
                              hehe, Ian you've been saying that since last week and the first time I took your advice was the first time I had starting problems (ok I had also just run out of juice but thats irrelevant )

Delboy: up the cats

Comment

Working...
                              X