Mega fan belt problems!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega fan belt problems!!

Can anybody help? I never thought changing belts could be so problematic.
    One of my belts broke the other day, luckily I was only 1 mile from home. The one that broke had the Toyota part no.-90916-02385. I thought I may as well replace the other while I was at it, the one nearesst the engine that goes over the main drive, fanbelt and regulator pullys. Firstly even though I undid the tensioner bolts(the long thin one and the larger one on the side in front of it) nothing budged. I then noticed another bolt that seems to bolt the regulator to the engine but this wouldn't budge at all. I then decided to abort changing this one and just replace the broken one, only to discover that the belt that I'd been supplied with from A.R.E was the wrong size. The one that actually broke is the one nearest the front(there are only 2 altogether). It looks like it should go over the main drive pully, the fan belt, the tensioner pully and the a pull on the very top unit which I guess must be the alternator. A.R.E supplied me with 2 belts the same size (Blue print ADT 39625 with a number on the actual belt-RPF 3385.
    Does anyone know what size belts I need ? and any tips on loosening the regulator, is a regulator the same as an alternator and if so what is the unit above this with a pully on the front of it ? ( this is the one with a broken belt).
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, its a 3.0 T.D 1996 KZN 185.

ANT.
    Last edited by ant; 13 November 2005, 12:09. Reason: missed something out

The outermost belt is usually the aircon drive belt. If it's the unit on the left at the top, looking at the engine from the front, then it's aircon. If you're not using the aircon you could get away without replacing it for a while.
    Mike G

Comment

You have the aircon at the front, then the alternator has two belts the same on a double pully.

The aircon belt goes round the crank, then the fan, then the tensioner, then round the air-con and back to the crank. Its tight to get on, try it with the tensioner pully removed completely, or going clockwise, hook it half on to the last pully (usually aircon pump is easist) and flick the key to get the belt on.

The two alternator pulleys just go round the alt, fan and crank. You won't move the alternator without loosening the top pivot bolt as well as the tensioner bolt.

The 3.0 isn't hard, try the 2.4 for putting belts on!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        The 3.0 isn't hard, try the 2.4 for putting belts on!
        I hear Vagrant No2 does a good job of removing when hot ?
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
        X