Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Upper and Lower Ball Joints

Hi Guys,
    Had my surf a few months now...had similar problems to a lot surf owners with the steering pulling/drifting to the left all the time..

To cut a long story short I had the tracking done + steering idler arm(Milners) replaced and changed all 4 tyres for some Kumho's(Great tyres by the way) and the problem didn't go away. So as a last gasp I took it to Toyota to get a diagnostic(lol) on the problem. After charging £37 they then showed me the problem. The Upper and Lower Ball joints had way too much play them, so much the fella could could push the wheel from top to toe to show me just how much movement there was. They said that you should have a maximum of 2mm play in them (he squeezed the ball joint together with some plyers).
    Basically proving the point that my left wheel was toeing in and out at will. The replaced steering idler moved up and down like a tarts knickers when showing me problem....strange as it had been replaced.

Anyway for a replacement upper and lower ball joint plus a replacement idler arm unit and labour ++++VAT they quoted me £519.37p The service clerk just looked at me and said "wow the joys of motoring"...I took the quote and left.....
    It was worth the £37 quid to find out what the problem was....this was at 3.30pm friday afternoon.....
    The best bit is by the time I'd got home I'd spent a £100 quid at halfords buying tools, grease etc to do the job myself...by 4.30 I'd spent another £100 quid on x2 upper & x2 Lower ball joints, Idler steering bushes and a Filter Kit from Milners(Thank the lord for Milners)

Now I'm itching to get the job sorted...as soon as he parts arrive.

Does anyone have any advise on replacing the ball joints? I remeber someone mention grease nipples?
    (I've seen how to replace idler arm the bushes thanks.)

On another note, is it normal to hear a tinny engine sound at around 2.5-3 revs/min? - Just sounds alittle excessive/annoying..

Oil preasure question - is it normal for the oil pressure gauge to settle at the first quater mark at idle and not pass half way at speed/load?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated thanks.

3rd Gen 96' Blue N Silver 3.0ltr TD

Can't answer the balljoint stuff except that the new ones should have grease nipples - the old ones will just have blanking plugs that you unscrew and replace with nipples when you want to grease them up.

You will need a good balljoint splitter (preferably one with the bolt to put pressure on rather than a tuning fork one.

With regards to the oil, 1/4 is fine for idle, mine goes to just under 3/4 when revving. When the oil gets near to needing a change then it don't go much more than half.

Also when the oil is brand new it's the same. Anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 is OK though.

Cheers

Comment

interesting winnybob, i'm seeing the same thing on my '93, sounds like that's something else to add to my milners list!
      [I][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]

Comment

Thanks Lucky...
        As it happens I bought the pickle fork type to seperate the joints..... no worries though.....I'll borrow anything else I need.

Maybe we should put a "Must have" Surf tool list together for particular jobs or maybe even a tool rental package scheme for members.......it's a mad idea and I am from Lahlah land but for the part time tinkerer the surf is a great vehicle to work on yourself......Its the best excuss I've had for ages to buy new tools....

Just waiting for my parts to arrive from Milners now.....

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by winnybob
          Thanks Lucky...
          As it happens I bought the pickle fork type to seperate the joints..... no worries though.....I'll borrow anything else I need.

Maybe we should put a "Must have" Surf tool list together for particular jobs or maybe even a tool rental package scheme for members.......it's a mad idea and I am from Lahlah land but for the part time tinkerer the surf is a great vehicle to work on yourself......Its the best excuss I've had for ages to buy new tools....

Just waiting for my parts to arrive from Milners now.....

Cheers
          Possible Idea, have to think about that one, mind you a tool rental package would be a bit too much bearing in mind how spread out everyone is, however I'm sure that the people on particular areas would be happy to help out fellow surfers.

The pickle fork should do the job, just easier with the other type.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            Possible Idea, have to think about that one, mind you a tool rental package would be a bit too much bearing in mind how spread out everyone is, however I'm sure that the people on particular areas would be happy to help out fellow surfers.

The pickle fork should do the job, just easier with the other type.

Cheers
            the fork type seperators are ok but they tend to split the rubber round the ball joint, doesnt matter if your replacing it though, if you were fitting boots and had to split the balljoint the other type is better as it doesnt damage the rubber
            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
            [size=5][/size]
            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

You can buy one of these for about £15....
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys....will post a reply on how it went..and maybe some pics..

Does anyone know if the ball joints or idler need to be torqed or anything?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
                  You can buy one of these for about £15....
                  Just off to get some now...the drift type and the 'G' clamp type are too small or interfere......proving to be a pain.....but I like it..

Comment

Working...
                  X