No announcement yet.

6 point ring spanners - who makes 'em ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really not impressed by the metrinch spanners... The ring end has loads of play in them and the open end is useless! - tried it on a 17mm nut on the surf and it slipped.... Used a standard halfords spanner and it worked fine.. Looks like snap on is the only route....

Comment

That mirrors my experience of a couple of metrinch combi spanners I bought a few years ago. Never again.
      I think they work well in a few sizes where the metric and imperial sizes are very similar. Unfortunately these don't seem to be the ones in common use on Jap bikes or Italian cars.

Comment

Since I began maintaining a fleet of hummers, I've had to go and purchase an imperial set of spanners and sockets. Some sizes are equivalent (wheel nuts for example, are 14/16ths..but a tight 22mm 6 sider fits ok. The brake bleed nipples equivalent size is 9.5 mm! It's worth getting the right set.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Go for Snap On, it really is a case that you get what you pay for. Using cheaper spanners you can see the jaws of open ended spanners start to spread as you apply torque whereas a Snap On doesn't.

Over the years I've bought Snap On spanners and sockets in one's and twos and I've not yet managed to break anything. I've turned cheaper socket extension bars into corkscrews, taken large chunks of my knuckle off when spanners have slipped or the jaws have cracked.

Regards

TFB

Comment

So the Yanks still don't use Metric sizes after all these years? What's wrong with them? Even Triumph motorbikes have been metric for the last 20 years!

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              Really not impressed by the metrinch spanners... The ring end has loads of play in them and the open end is useless! - tried it on a 17mm nut on the surf and it slipped.... Used a standard halfords spanner and it worked fine.. Looks like snap on is the only route....
              Sorry to hear that mate, I have had nothing but good experiance with them.
              They have got nuts and bolts out that were looking like cutting disk jobs for me, on a number of occassions.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                Sorry to hear that mate, I have had nothing but good experiance with them.
                They have got nuts and bolts out that were looking like cutting disk jobs for me, on a number of occassions.
                No worries Yoshie. They look like they'd work really well if they didn't have the slack in them. They should make a metric set and an imperial set and re-name the product

Comment

I googled hex spanner and came up with these, on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Britool-7Pce-M...a17501fffdecc4

I know they're made by stanley but they are what you're after!

You'll need this one too!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-R...item1c10b3d16f
                  Last edited by puddlesurfer; 2 September 2010, 21:06.
                  “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                    I googled hex spanner and came up with these, on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Britool-7Pce-M...a17501fffdecc4

I know they're made by stanley but they are what you're after!

Cheers Matey - I did say earlier that I've seen small sizes in Britool spanners (the ones you linked go up to 9mm)

I've ordered a 12mm ratchet spanner like the one Lord Lucan linked to for now as that was the main size I was after.

Comment

no worries!

Laser tools do combination spanners that appear to be sing hex ratchet

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/tools.aspx?cat=132&pg=1

Size 10 -22mm
                      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                        no worries!

Laser tools do combination spanners that appear to be sing hex ratchet

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/tools.aspx?cat=132&pg=1

Size 10 -22mm
                        Yep they're the ones Lord Lucan linked to earlier

Comment

Finally !

Laser do a set of them - code is 6223 around £50 on ebay..

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                            Finally !

Laser do a set of them - code is 6223 around £50 on ebay..
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Working...
                            X