yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever lost their clutch pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever lost their clutch pedal?

After driving for around 40 minutes, motorway and A70, I got to traffic lights at Muirkirk and got stopped on a red The lights went green, so I dipped the clutch and tried to engage first, but it wouldn't go into any gear Fortunately I was the only one at the lights, so I managed to get it into reverse, and got myself into a parking bay I popped the bonnet to check the fluid, in the master cylinder and the clutch fluid resoviour (sp) was that hot that I could not touch it So I checked the pipes from the master to the slaved cylinder and there was no fluid leaking from any of them, so I let it cool down a bit and and checked the fluid inside the master cylinder resoviour and it was about a mm above the max mark and I noticed that the fluid was very dark and dirty looking. At this point I managed to find second gear and limped to my mates place about 15 miles away. I logged onto the site and checked for postings on clutch problems! Has this ever happened to anyone else??? Was this a pre curser to full clutch failure or is it the case that the clutch fluid was overdue and past its best?????? Does clutch fluid loose its viscosity when it becomes too warm???? Is it a possibility that I could loose the clutch again, would it be best for me to replace the master cylinder or the slave cylinder????? I have also got a price from the Bridgestone Clutch Centre for a replacement clutch and the total price for the new clutch is £285 inc VAT, luckily enough I am a member of the RAC, who came out, changed the fluid and bled the clutch. He said that there was NO air in the system, but could not tell me if the loss of clutch was due to the fluid being old and over heating, or why the clutch fluid had over heated in the first place!!! Any help or useful links would be much appreciated. My truck is a 2.4TD efi with 5 speed manual gear box.

P.S anyone know where I would get a master & slave cylinder sharpish, and how much I would expect to pay for them?
    S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Clutch and brake fluid absorb water from the atmosphere and therefore the boiling point is reduced the more it absorbs water. It has been known to happen on other vehicles for the clutch fluid to overheat due to clutch pipe being to near the exhaust . If the fluid is/was dirty or black then it maybe the seals in master and slave cylinders are wearing/perishing and starting to fail . New parts are available from Roughtracks or Milners . Change the pair as the contaminated fluid will have started to weaken the seals in both of the units .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

thanks

i have phoned miller off road and they do not do a seal kit they do a master cyl for £50 and a slave for £18 so i am phoning the toyota dealer to see if they do a seel kit for it

Comment

I lost my clutch pedal when I got the car. It only came with accelerator and brake.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

lol me too!
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

It is possible that the spring thingy at back of clutch plate has broken off. When happened to me, garage just welded it back on and it was fine.
            Still Searching,
            Dick Whittington

Comment

it's rare for an aberdonian to say it, but SPEND the money (god that was painful!) get a new master and slave cylinder, I had the same bother and spend ages taking them apart, cleaning hideious black sludge out trying to measure bore wear etc but in the end even I paid the money and bought new ...in fixed and working fine in an hour, heat sheild a bit fiddly...put an old sheet under the car to catch the nut you'll drop is my tip
              happy clutching...now will someone fix my judder......
              dinna say eh?....say fit?

Comment

just u lot wate till

just u lot wate till your tcork convertor packs up ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by leo's dad
                  it's rare for an aberdonian to say it, but SPEND the money (god that was painful!) get a new master and slave cylinder, I had the same bother and spend ages taking them apart, cleaning hideious black sludge out trying to measure bore wear etc but in the end even I paid the money and bought new ...in fixed and working fine in an hour, heat sheild a bit fiddly...put an old sheet under the car to catch the nut you'll drop is my tip
                  happy clutching...now will someone fix my judder......
                  i am not skint so spending the £50 and £18 quid on the master & slave is not a problem but the rac re placed the the old oil so the clutch is ok and if it gos once more the master & slave will be replaced the reason i got a surf with a clutch is an auto is just not my type o surf

Comment

Working...
                  X