Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Indicator Light Flashing

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if I'm just being dim.

I've just gotten a jap import 3.0L Surf SSrx (Series 3 KZN185) with an auto box.

When I press the 4wd select button in the H2 Setting on the drive select lever, I think it should engage 4wd but not lock the centre diff. I would therefore expect the indicator to show the wheels lit up green and the amber centre diff light not to show...

But what I get is all the lights on the 4WD dash indicator flashing at me !

Pressing the 4wd select button again (which I would expect to switch back to RWD) just gets more flashing lights, but when I slow right down the lights go out and it seems to revert back to rwd.

If I move the drive select lever back to h4 it seems to work fine, lighting up the wheels (green) and the centre Diff (amber) on the dash display. As I understand it this means that the system is in 4wd with the diff locked (not to be used on dry tarmac..).

So, it would seem to my novice eye that there is some problem engaging 4WD in H2 and that the lights are flashing as a warning !

Can anyone shed any light on whats happening, and what the problem might be if there is one.

Thanks

S.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between the shift levers on the KZN 130 & KZN185 but I presume you are pushing the large button on the side of the small (hi/lo) selector. This is normally left in H2. Pushing the button whilst doing less that 60mph should put the drive into H4, giving you 4WD. If the 4WD light is flashing I believe that means the drive isn't engaging. What speed were you doing when you tried engaging 4WD?

To check if 4WD is working, stop, select N or P and move the HI/LO lever into L4. The lights should then come on to confirm 4WD is engaged as L4 should engage 4WD at the transfer box and your front diff should engage the drive to both sides at the front. If this isn't happening, I'd get it straight back to the dealer to fix it. And you can use 4WD on tarmac in the KZN185 as it has a central diff, which the earlier models didn't have, although it's liable to cause more tyre wear using it on dry tarmac in 4WD.
    Mike G

Comment

My 3rd Gen does this too, I think its normal, the owners manual says that when you press the button the light should flash and then go constant when the drive train has locked in position. When I select 4wd the lights flash until I go around a tight corner or stop. For some reason they don't like going into 4wd on a straight at speed.

Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy and Mike,

Mike, I tried the change at everything from 80kph down to a standstill. Still the same result. Unfortunately I cant take it back to the dealer, as I bought it direct from Japan, so if there is a problem I'll have to remedy it myself.

My understanding of the diff situation is that in the H2 Setting with the Big button pushed in the car engages drive to the front wheels but does not lock the diff, allowing for some slip and preventing the "wind-up which used to happen on the KZN130. The lever configuration is a little different, but the principal of operation seems the same.

Andy, all my tests were done on a straight piece of road, but I'll try it around a few roundabouts / sharp corners to see if that makes a difference. But surely it should engage regardless of whether the vehicle is traveling in a straight line or around a corner ?

I'll double check the fluid level in the box today and see if I can find a sticking solenoid or something, any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

S.

Comment

Salty,
          Your understanding of the 3rd Gen 4wd system is correct. As has been suggested, turning of the front wheels and/or altering your speed can help engagement of 4wd. Additionally, you should not attempt to engage/disengage above 100kph, or when any wheels are currently slipping. easing off the power usually helps mine engage.
          Mine used to take up to 20 meters or so to engage when I first got it, with regular use (getting stuck doing 3 point turns in 2wd at the side of the house, in what should be my side garden ) it now engages much quicker, often almost instantly.
          It is usually recomended that when working correctly, 4wd should be engaged at least monthly, if at all possible, to keep the system free and ready for use.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
          X