Car only starts when it wants to ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car only starts when it wants to ?

over the last 2 or 3 weeks i have been noticing when i go to start her sometimes she doesnt turn over, i just get a loud clicking noise (like the very start of the starter motor)

Most of the time shes fine and goes 1st time, but it seems to be doing it more often, I got out and checked the batterys, both of them are holding near full charge ... So i thought it may be the Alarm ? It has a cheap aftermarket alarm (that sounds like a kids toy gun when it goes off haha) that is fitted with what appears to be an imobiliser, i have the fob to engage and disengage the alarm, then a seperate tube like thing or a (pendant) ...

99% of the time when i get in i have to put the keys in, get the ignition on then push the fob button before i can turn it again to start, if i dont do this, there is nothing (not even the clicking noise) ... anyway as i said lately when i go to start it, regardless of having the alarm on or off, pushing the fob button or anythin, it just ticks away, its not like a quiet tick, its a tick like its just about to turn over ?

I have checked the battery stengths, checked i have good solid connections, checked the majority of leads for breaks, and tried starting it without having set the alarm ? and it still does it, Once it starts its fine, sweet as a nut... Any ideas, things i should check ???

any help much appriciated

thanks

Yep. Starter motor contacts are knackered.

This kit will solve your problem.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

my word that was quick, round of applause to you good sir

haha nice one fella ...

Comment

thinking about it now, that looks almost definately what is wrong,,, thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Antony_James View Post
          my word that was quick, round of applause to you good sir

haha nice one fella ...
          Yep I recon he was right as I had the same....quick answer but took me 6hrs to fix and had to do it in place....fun fun fun it's not the parts but the labour!!

Comment

Well thats it, av just gone and got in it now, and its gave up the ghost completely, but its parked on the other side of the road, i live on quite a big road aswell, is it a job i can do outside someone elses house haha, or would it be one of those, outside your own house all day 10 cups a coffee beasting sessions ???

Comment

Beasting session? I hope not!

Take the starter out, dont try and do it in situ. Best way of doing that (I found) was to take the fule filter assembly off (!) and pass the starter UP to a willing helper. It's a bugger to get it down past the wishbones etc.

Once you've got it out, its about half an hour job to service it.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Best way of doing that (I found) was to take the fule filter assembly off
                The what filter?
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I think he meant FOOL filter ........

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

hi Ant if you wanr me to come round and tow you across the road give me a shout.
                    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
                      hi Ant if you wanr me to come round and tow you across the road give me a shout.

i might actualy take u up on that one bob, Might be a bit cheeky an ask u to take me a bit further, its still under its 3 month warranty at the place i bought it, just spoke to him then an he sed yeah yeah bring it down our lads will have a look at it ??????

the people off here have sed it can be fixed with a starter motor repair kit (£35) or give it to them to "have a look at"

dont know wether ad just feel better doing it myself, what would you lot do ?

plus ad have to tow it all the way down there

Comment

Id say to him that you think its just the starter motor needs a refurb.

If you want ask him for the money an just do it yourself. Saves the hassle of dragging it around. Especially if its an auto.

Comment

Thats a point, I cud ask for him to pay for the kit (i would fell cheeky as hell asking) but it would save me draggin it down there, from who i have spoke to on here, its not that hard to do is it, take the fuel filter assembly thing off (and fit a new one when putting it back together to kill 2 birds with one stone) then un bolt the Starter, and pass it up to sumone (thanks apache) take it in me mums kitchen and give it a clean and rebuild it.

that sound about right

Comment

Working...
                          X