cylinder head again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder head again

i have a 2.4 93 surf which i have had for 5 months i look at most of the threads on this site and read alot about head problems how can i tell if i have a original head or one that has been upgraded i do find myself constantly looking at the water temp guage hoping it doesnt go above halfway if anyone can reassure me on these head problems i would be very grateful

There is not a lot to say that can reassure you. There is no visible way of telling whether the head has been changed for a modified one. The only way to really tell is if the previous UK owner had one fitted and proves it by supplying the reciept. There is also no way of telling whether your Surf was fitted with one of the heads with a design fault because not all 2.4s were.

The fault affects 20% or so of imported Surfs, so I guess you have a 1 in 5 chance of the head going. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed having run mine for 18 months so far with, dare I say it, no problems. Just enjoy your truck and bear in mind that it might be a good idea to keep £1500 tucked away or stay on the right side of the bank manager. Once the modded head is fitted you have a bomb proof motor.

Don't let the spectre of Surf head problems do your head in.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

As PHIL stated there is no visible way of telling if its a new head as the changes are internal.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

does anyone know if there is any info on production numbers ,E.G between
        (month/year) to (month/year) of production run which were /are affected cos my eyes always seem to wander to temp gauge more than i,m comfy with
        paranoia, it hurtzzzzz
        am also curious how high %of surfs are so low mileage for their age ??
        my engine looks about 2 yrs old by condition/looks.

just a few thoughts...
        CARL (cool so far)
        2.4 T.D,s should carry a government health warning

Comment

heads

To be honest, I think all 2.4's will have the head prblem until the head has bee changed, I had mine for 18 months before it cracked, time will tell, but I would bet my bottom dollar that all heads will crack. perhaps the new heads are a diff design, but who knows? no one knows what the differences are!
          If you have a 2,4 and the head bolts look old, be prepared for the worst

Comment

Most people don't know this but there is a major German car maker who's head will crack if you get anywhere near the red zone on the temp. As such I develouped a nervous tick where I regularly check the temperature guage. Sitting on half is about right, if you see it suddenly going up it could just be your thermostat which can stick closed.
            My best advice is just to drive it and enjoy it, I've had mine 19 months and just love it.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

you never gonna believe this.......
              checked water this morning.... expansion bottle full and took off rad cap and needed 1/2gallon or so to top up . this is the second time in a month....only gets used on w/ends when warm, top hose is pressurised, but no steam out of zorst ?? or water in oil ??
              MARKY ??....STEVO ??
              DONT WANT TO DO THIS....

most upset
              ....CARL

Comment

P.S
                changed rad cap....thermostat...flushed system and put in new coolant and bled, just b4 xmas

CARL

Comment

Mine head & turbo bearing went after 10 000k's due to a corroded radiator. My advice is to get your trucks radiator professionally cleaned and checked. Next fit a turbo timer and a bigger exhaust (2.5 inch). The 2.4's has to small an exhaust which causes the head to over heat when the engine is pushed or when it is hot and switched off. The turbo timer helps for cooling things down when you switch the engine off. I wired a switch into the circuit that drives the electric radiator fan. When I tow my yacht (1000kgs) up our steep hills here in Dunedin I switch the fan on and switch the aircon off. That keeps the temperature under control.
                  After you've done the above don't panick if you see the guage creep up sometime, as the auto has a very small torque converter that tends to heat up a bit when worked hard, like up steep mountain passes. Just switch of overdrive and button off a bit.
                  When you buy a new vehicle get a warranty, then work the vehicle as hard as possible in the shortest time to bring all the latent faults to the fore. I did that and got everything done on warranty. Now 50 000k's later everything is still fine (except for that !@#%! ignition switch)
                  [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by welshsurfer
                    you never gonna believe this.......
                    checked water this morning.... expansion bottle full and took off rad cap and needed 1/2gallon or so to top up . this is the second time in a month....only gets used on w/ends when warm, top hose is pressurised, but no steam out of zorst ?? or water in oil ??
                    MARKY ??....STEVO ??
                    DONT WANT TO DO THIS....

most upset
                    ....CARL
                    When the head cracks across the valve seats, You will not see oil in the water as these are typical headgasket failure symptons which you see on normal cars etc.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by welshsurfer
                      P.S
                      changed rad cap....thermostat...flushed system and put in new coolant and bled, just b4 xmas

CARL
                      Carl

Had similar symptoms. Occasional water dump after long run leaving a wet engine and full expansion bottle. Mostly after a good run and then left to idle for a while (used to pray I didn't hit traffic). Did the same, fitted new thermostat and cap, no difference. At cam belt change , changed out water pump and fitted temporary (new) radiator but still same problems. After pressure test failed had to give in and accept head had cracked.

Changed out head and sure enough, cracked across valve seats on 1 and 4 cylinders..grrrr .

Take her for a long run and then let her idle. See if water gets dumped after a while when idling. On starting, check the top hose, it may pressure up pretty quick indicating compression gas in the system. GET A PRESSURE CHECK DONE on water system and seek out Surf friendly garage near you if all this fails.

A long shot may be radiator/blockages causing problems but you'd consider yerself lucky if only this.

Good luck
                      Scuddy
                      ------------------------------------
                      Look out! Ee

Comment

Working...
                      X