gear box oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear box oil

if i drain my auto box for an oil change anyone know what the refilling capacity is.
    i have got info saying dry fill 6.5 litres and drain and refill 1.2 litres.
    does this mean if idrain and refill i will leave 5.3 litres of old oil in the box?????

Yup! thats all that will come out, the rest is in the torque convertor and other places.

The only way to change most of the oil at one time, is to pull the oil cooler pipes and put them in a couple of buckets, one full of new oil and one empty, them run the motor and gradually pump out all the old oil, till the oil coming out looks like new oil then you'll have most of it swapped round.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

gear box oil

thanks tony
      its a good job we dont leave 70% of the old oil in the engine when changing that oil or we would have a lot of dead surfs.

thanks again

Comment

Auto oil change

Is this different for a KZN 185 when I drained the auto box on mine about 5 ltrs came out give or take. Then I just filled with new to the same amount ran the engine checked the levels and filled to suit. It worries when you say only 1 or so ltrs should drain out.
        Peachy
        3.0TD
        New Gen

Comment

Peachy, at least yours is the same as mine! i got about 5 litres out the first time but only needed to put back just over 4.5 litres as I already knew it was overfilled before. Have drained it again since and it's still just over 4.5 litres that i need to get the level perfect.

Comment

Help ?

Originally posted by TonyN
            Yup! thats all that will come out, the rest is in the torque convertor and other places.

The only way to change most of the oil at one time, is to pull the oil cooler pipes and put them in a couple of buckets, one full of new oil and one empty, them run the motor and gradually pump out all the old oil, till the oil coming out looks like new oil then you'll have most of it swapped round.

Tony, sent you an email ref some help with servicing on the surf earlier today. Well that time has come sooner than I thought. Got a 91 LN 130, was changing the oil n yep dropped the gearbox oil instead, the sump plug was so tempting. reading your threads about pulling the oil cooler pipes sounds dooable, any photos to identify where they are. Will it cause problems if I continue to run the engine up (stationary) to drop the engine oil ?

Comment

Working...
            X