Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winch bumper question

Afternoon lads, long time no see.

I've finally recuperated enough to be able to fit the ARB winch bumper I bought from Pops a few months back.
    Herein lies the problem and question.
    As my Surf has a 2" body lift and the bumper mounts to the frame I'm left with a 2" gap between the bumper and grill. No big hassle apart from the bumper bars now cross in front of my headlights, which I'm sure is an MOT no no. I cant see any way of fitting spacers as the bumper actually sits onto the front cross member.
    Has anyone got any suggestions????

Gordon...
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

I will post some pics gordon,just give me a mo....and glad to hear you are well now.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Message from Gra, he apologies but the ferry has come in and he has lost his wireless signal until it goes, he will post as soon as it buggas off !!

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Hey Gordon I am glad to hear u are doing better mate....
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Gra?
          Ferry Gone yet?
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

yes !!!!

blimmin cal mac ferries, blocking their own wireless signal..who do they think they are !!

anyhows here goes.

these were made and put on by surfenstein.You will need eithe make brackets like these,or measure carefully and drill the locating holes in the bumper 2" inches lower(if there is enough space)
            it is possible as well (i believe) to extend everything else......we need rod leach as he had an arb steel bumper and a big body lift,prhpas give him a pm as well gordon...im still trawling through for photos
            do you mean the bars above the headlights are to low and interrupt the beam ??
            all being well, it should end uplike this
            Last edited by gwh200; 2 May 2009, 16:03.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

mines different
              the bumper wraps around that lower cross section. where you have the 2 lower bolts.
              I think Ive figured out a mod, however this would involve cutting away some of the bumper.
              Ill go take a pic and post in a minute
              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I was going to say... the TJM and ARB mounts are totally different..

The ARB is a LOT stronger.. TJM ones especially later models are all airbag safe. ARB ones... aint!

Becarful if your going to hack it up and still mount a winch.. you'll lose a lot of strength.

Comment

i would have thought the fixing points would have to be in the same position rod......the bumpers are different but the surfs are the same..how didyours fit up having a body lift ??
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

The mounts are in the same place but the actual construction differs.

Your tjm an my old one! ( ) have seperate 'cradles' if you will.. the winch mount and the bumper mounts are seperate from the actual bumper itself..

ARB is i think an all in one unit.. meaning that how ours were adjusted is impossible.

All i did for mine is remove the cradle, welded two plates on the top and drilled some holes and refixed it.

But the winch rope/wire rather then coming out straight would now pass up and then back down again putting a lot of force on the bumper itself.

Comment

Hmmmm...mine is alloy (have i ever mentioned that) and needs a steel cradle inside the alloy body.Stein and mark fabricated some mounts onto the chassis rail,offered up the bumper and marked where the bumper would fit on the sides of those mounts,and having a 2" inch bodylift,the holes were 2" inches above the stock fixing holes....all in the same place just higher.My winch cable ,indeed the whole winch would not have fitted other wise,as the steel cradle has a hole that matches the bumper hole..it all got a bit complicated...
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

here you go.
                        a lot different me thinks.
                        Attached Files
                        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I do belive you need to get the angle grinder out squire.Am i right in saying the bumper fits along the bottom of the chassis rail...if so you aint getting it 2" inches higher with those bottom lugs on
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            I do belive you need to get the angle grinder out squire.Am i right in saying the bumper fits along the bottom of the chassis rail...if so you aint getting it 2" inches higher with those bottom lugs on
                            The bumper box section fits around the bottom chassis rail (top, front and bottom), there appears to be enough room above the rail for that box section to sit above it. I'm going to cut off the flanges that fit under the side rails to allow for lifting it above the rail and then make a flat plate that will hold the front of this box section to the front of the chassis rail all the way along. I might even drill and bolt the bottom of this box section through the whole chassis rail. Either way I believe it will not greatly effect the bumpers overall strength, and Roberts your father's brother.

Also I will use the original bumper spacers to fit the bumper to its normal mounting positions
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Mine is attached as it sounds you are going to do it,and it is strong enough to winch a cherokee in its side!!!
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X