Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: Number plate lights not working

Hi,

All the lights on the truck work except for the number plate lights. All fuses are ok and I have removed the number plate holder off the tailgate and it's fine too.

There is no signal getting to the plug that the final lighting circuit plugs into.

Can anyone tell me where the various junctions/connections are for this circuit along the truck? As the tail lights work I assume the problem lies where the circuit splits.

Could the blue box on the tailgate be the problem or is this to control something else?

Lastly, I had a new alarm fitted recently and he spliced into the wiring near the drivers right foot - could he have caused this? If so, what do I need to check?

I presume the positive wire for the plate lights is green with silver spots and I have traced this to the drivers footwell but the circuit seems to be intact from here to the rear.

My main problem is not reading the wiring diagram but physically knowing where things are and what colours they should be.

I'm happy to pay a prfessional if someone can recommend someone who knows these trucks and therefore won't cost a small fortune?

The truck is a 1996 gen3 SSRX 3.0 diesel.

Thanks and sorry for such a long post
    Alex

Anyone? This is still troubling me.

Thanks

Comment

Number plate light.

Easiest way is to splice the number plate light feed into the rear side light feed, also make sure you have a good earth.

Comment

Ahhhh - such a simple and obvious solution!

Thank you very much - I'll give that a go this weekend.

Do you happen to know if there is a sidelight circuit in the tail gate or will I need to retrace further back into the loom in the body of the truck?

Cheers
        Alex

Comment

Cheap repair!

From (admittedly) vague memory I think you will have to run from the body loom to the n/plate unit. As an afterthought disconnect the existing n/plate feed and insulate it. Better safe than sorry!

Comment

Ok, thanks mate - I'll see how I get on

Comment

Taken me a few months but I have now fixed this!

Turns out the wires in the rubber hose that run from the body (at the roof) into the tailgate had snapped or were in the process of snapping.

They evidently rub on the edge of the hole in the body.

Wires extended and rejoined up and now we have fully working number plate lights again.

If you have any electrical issues in your tailgate I would check here first.

Alex

Comment

I think that over time with repeated opening/closing the wires can break.

Good job
                Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

Working...
                X