Turbo Shrieking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Shrieking

Just finished installing an oil cooler and cooler housing replacement, and I'm getting a tic tic tic light noise at idle, which turns into a loud metal shrieking soon after turbo light goes on and around 2100rpm- admittedly I didn't prime the turbo as it was still oily, and I did re-route turbo cooling outlet hose as I cant find a replacement in/out water pipe. [under the thermo housing I blocked off the 3/4in heater hose [in and out] and routed the turbo water out to the bottom of the radiator as I thought it would flow out there ok]..
    The turbo sat in a box and was working fine before the rebuild! All gaskets are new and sealed up good, new exhaust manifold gasket. Only thing I can think of is the exhaust down pipe which I think might be not tightly/properly reattached as I did it in the dark in the rain and rushed that bit. Otherwise have I buggered the turbo bearings due to not putting more oil in before first start???

There is a metal gasket that goes between the turbo and flanges that needs replacing. Several Surfs I know of had this same symptom and this was the cure.
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

THANKS - after all the panic I took everything off again and noticed that the nuts for the flange at the exhaust manifold to intake round the back were not even there - I forgot to put them back when replacing the oil cooler... new gasket in and perfect running. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X