1996 Gen 3 3.0ltr Auto starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Gen 3 3.0ltr Auto starting problem

Hi guys, I'm having a starting problem with my 3.0ltr 1996 Surf(auto) I turn the ignition, let her heat (until the thwump) then crank it, and the starter turns the engine less than a revolution and quits. Trying after that usually means some clicks or nothing. It's an automatic and I noticed the release button on top of the selector lever won't depress either. I have to press the little red button at the base of the lever then move the gear lever to neutral and crank it over. It sometimes starts when I do this but it's gradually getting worse. Anyone know what the hell is going on?

Why are you messing with the gear lever ? Is it not in Park when you try to start it ? It has to be in P to get the ignition key out, so logic says its still in P when you put your key in and turn it for starting. It will only release ( without the red button ) after it has started. If it is turning the engine at all it doesn't seem like starter motor contacts ( Usually when they go you just get a click and no turn) but as its a cheap and easy fix Id do them first and then see what happens.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HI-...Ukc35A4Ho6X1PQ
    Сви можемо

Comment

Loose earth connection or battery terminal or starter connection?
      Or even a dying battery?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I only mentioned the gear lever because the car tends to start a bit easier when I move it to neutral instead of "park". I thought there may be a kill switch somewhere on the transmission which could be at fault. I also thought it might be a problem with the starter brushes or contacts in the starter solenoid. I just wanted to eliminate anything else obvious before pulling the starter out or replacing the battery (which isn't that old).

Comment

Clicking when trying to start it could point to low batteries, have you had them checked and also are you sure the alternator is charging correctly when it is running

Comment

Growler, it's a single battery set-up. I'll get the alternator tested. I figured it wasn't the battery because when it actually starts to turn it turns the engine fast.

Comment

Therefore if it's not the battery, it's unlikely to be the alternator.
              Test the battery, no matter what you think!

Always start with the simple things. So all connections first, then look at the starter.

Comment

Replaced the battery and the alternator is charging fine. She started on the button every time with the new battery but, now the symptoms have returned, worse even, I turn the key and just get the click as the solenoid throws the bendix into the ringgear of the flywheel. Do you reckon it's the starter brushes or shitty copper contacts in the solenoid, which won't make the connection to spin the starter? How awkward is removing the starter?

Comment

to remove the starter its easier if you got body lift, i found it more difficult remove the electric connections (AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY) than the bolts that hold it, 1 hour (if that) to get it out.
                  the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Right guys, the starter is out and I need replacement brushes. Anyone got the code for the replacements and where I can get them? Stealership says no repair kit is available and that I'll have to buy a new (recon) starter from him.

Comment

Hi,
                      RT do a starter motor kit.

Cheers

Comment

here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2909268971...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                        the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Working...
                        X