3.4 ltr Exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 ltr Exhaust system

I have an MOT failure on the exhaust. Anyone know if there are any options to replace this with an off the shelf like a LC or Prado, or if I need to get a custom one made up? If the latter, any recommended places in central Scotland?
    Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

http://www.longlife.co.uk/dealer-locator/

Comment

Ta, have mailed them and there is a local one nearby. Do you know if anyone has replaced without the cat and particle filter? Would it still pass emmissions?
      Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

I recall reading a while back that because the truck is an import, it would have not had a cat or particulate filter, so you are OK.

I have a diesel, original exhaust failed MOT, had a new exhaust made up with no cat or filters and it's passed every time.

(Happy to stand corrected, of course)
        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Hmm interesting - so are you saying Imports don't need to pass the emissions test? Or they do? As presumably the only thing that will fail the MOT will be the emissions test rather than needing to have a CAT, which I don't think is a requirement for an MOT anyway.

Will see what the longlife people say tomorrow as is booked in now. They gave a rough estimate for £380 from CAT back, but I had the Lambda blow out the other day and just re-bolted it back in, but MOT guy said there was a leak here too (which I'm guessing is probably the lambda gasket, which I didn't replace), so may get away with using a liquid gasket to fix.

Will report back what they say.

Comment

I believe it has to pass emissions tests for the UK.

The presence of a CAT to do this is not compulsory.

If it didn't come with a CAT in Japan, then it must have passed an MOT like this when it got SVA approved as an import.

I found this :

I have to test the car under the appropriate emissions standards for the date of registration ( 01/08/1992-31/07/1995 , co<0.3% hc<1200 ppm and lambda 0.97-1.03 )

If it fails then the analyzer follows on to the next stage which involves identifying the car on the emissions database (which is contained within the analyser software and also a book which we'll call the emissions bible )

If an EXACT MATCH cannot be found for the car then it HAS to be tested to the pre August 1992 limits of co<3.5% hc<1200 (no lambda reading taken )
            Last edited by J i m s t e r; 1 October 2014, 13:44.
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Right, well that is the exhaust done - a nice shiny new longlife job done by the boys down at Fife Auto Centre and a they even put a square chrome exit on it to make it look pretty.

£350 all in, which is pretty reasonable I think.

Comment

Working...
              X