Cracked head protectionsystem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked head protectionsystem

I have read too many cracked head threads, I'm willing to invest in a protection system.

I have found a watertemp gauge with the opportunity of an alarm and a switch possibility.

This is the idea:
    -Install the thermocouple in the watersystem ( install in the waterhose from the engine to the radiator. closest to the engine).
    -Set the switch option to a temp that is high for the surf. If the switch is triggered, visable alarm (LED) and switch on fan(electric, extra fan)
    -Set the alarm (audiable) if the temp gets higher.

I would like to know what the best temp is for the extra fan and the alarm, so the temp does not reach the headcracking tempertaure.

Who can help me with this.

Lots of us have this Mod...easy to find the bits on ebay. Being that the coolant from the engine before the rad i usually start to back off at 100 degrees..that seems to be when my dash gauge starts to move.

Since fitting a new Toyota viscous unit i am struggling to hit 85 degrees fully loaded up mountains now...No more gauge paranoia.
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

I re oiled my fan and adjusted it so it cuts in a tad ealier

Gauge has not once moved upwards whatsoever since doing so i dont feel the neednto add an aditional fan

If im towing a big load up a hill i roll the windows down and have the heating on full blast as a precaution

Comment

Digital temp gauge. I watch it like a hawk.
        I will crash the truck watchng that gauge!
        99° was the highest on a long uphlll Peage in France fully loaded in hot weather doing 90mph late for the ferry.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I bought a gauge, it is on its way to me now. In the beginning of 2015 I wil install the gauge and figure out what precautions I will take.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Digita...343bd1&vxp=mtr

bought this. Don't know if it will work but worth the try.

Comment

You can buy the FULL kit you need on ebay uk...
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

In one go?

Do you have a link? I would like to see that.

Comment

Ive also read (somewhere) that a rad with an extra row of fins can actually not help

Also read that the surf's gauge as a dead zone and a mod is available to make it read more accurately

I guess digital is the way though..

Comment

avoid water loss

On 3rd gens with the rear heater fitted, make sure you replace the metal pipes to the rear heater. They corrode and before you know it you have no water!
                  Seen it too many times!

Comment

That is something that i am parnoid about on my 2nd gen

What do people use to replce them? Just normal rubber hose?

Comment

Meanwhile I have got the gauge and thermocouple. I still need an SSR, audiable 12V warning and testing the system befor I will put it in the car.

Saturday I will have to equip the car with new front braking disks and some new rubbers. Then I can finally import this KZN130. It had been standing in my garage for a few months.

I will also look at the heatingpipes for the back. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X