Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about diesels

Hi all,

I'm writing to ask a few questions about the diesels that you guys have over there. Being from Canada, we don't have the diesel option. I am looking to have a diesel shipped over here and am asking all kinds of questions first, so please bear with me. I currently have a 3.0 gas engine with a four speed automatic transmission. The engine is the much maligned 3VZE and the trans is an Aisin A340h. I am wondering if there is a diesel, either the 2.4 or the 3.0, that will bolt in without too much problem. Also looking for details on these engines. As much as info possible would be great. Anyone want to trade engines? If you have any questions or comments for me just e-mail away.

Thanks in advance
    Steve
    Attached Files

Hi Steve,

I would go for the 3.0. The engine is a 1KZ-TE, they might have put them in the Land Cruiser / Prado over there.

Some info here: http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

It maybe easier to find a GM engine and put that in according to this article.

http://www.timbertoys.org/faq/

Rich.
    Last edited by rich; 21 September 2003, 09:46.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironpig2
      Hi all,

I'm writing to ask a few questions about the diesels that you guys have over there. Being from Canada, we don't have the diesel option. I am looking to have a diesel shipped over here and am asking all kinds of questions first, so please bear with me. I currently have a 3.0 gas engine with a four speed automatic transmission. The engine is the much maligned 3VZE and the trans is an Aisin A340h. I am wondering if there is a diesel, either the 2.4 or the 3.0, that will bolt in without too much problem. Also looking for details on these engines. As much as info possible would be great. Anyone want to trade engines? If you have any questions or comments for me just e-mail away.

Thanks in advance
      Steve
      Steve.

The 1KZTE 3.0 L Diesel is the one to you go for, however you will need a lot of anciliary parts such as Wiring loom, Fuel Filter, Probably all the extra stuf like Power Steering Pump, Alternator, Aircon Compressor as these are all different parts I think (they would certainly have different brackets. The Engine though Should bolt straight up to the A340H transmission as this is also fitted in the Diesels..

Can I ask what the reason for this is. The Diesel is more economical however not that much more (24 - 26mpg is you are lucky) so you would be spending a lot for not much gain and the payback would be not worth it. However if you want it for low speed crawling torque then it would be a good mod although swapping to a Supra engine might be easier (Petrol to Petrol so you could mod the wiring).

Good luck if you decide to do it.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

I want to go diesel for many reasons. I may not go diesel, depending on the cost. Mine needs a rebuild and I am looking at four thousand to rebuild it. I have looked at other options, such as the toyota 3.4 v6 which bolts right up and uses the same wiring harness. The exhuast and fuel lines need to be moved but other than that it fits perfect. And there is a supercharger from toyota for it as well. I would rather have a diesel for the fuel cost savings and the torque. Plus the cool factor would be high. But parts may be harder to come by. What would an engine cost over there? Like you said i would need all accesories and the wiring harness and the computer.

Does Toyota make their own diesels or are they made by Hino or another like manufacturer?

Thanks again
        Steve

Comment

You best bet would be to import a totalled (rear ended or something) one from Japan, then you'd have everything you need to do the swap. As has been mentioned, the 3.0 is the way to go.

Personally, I'd love a S/Charged 3.4, but then deisels are common over here and the 3.4 has the cool factor in the UK as its virtually unknown.

Hell, we even think the 3VZE is a cool motor!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi,

I want to go diesel for many reasons. I may not go diesel, depending on the cost. Mine needs a rebuild and I am looking at four thousand to rebuild it. I have looked at other options, such as the toyota 3.4 v6 which bolts right up and uses the same wiring harness. The exhuast and fuel lines need to be moved but other than that it fits perfect. And there is a supercharger from toyota for it as well. I would rather have a diesel for the fuel cost savings and the torque. Plus the cool factor would be high. But parts may be harder to come by. What would an engine cost over there? Like you said i would need all accesories and the wiring harness and the computer.

Does Toyota make their own diesels or are they made by Hino or another like manufacturer?

Thanks again
            Steve
            You might be able to get a totalled 2nd Gen from the UK or from Japan and even with shipping it would probably come in at less than $4K if you are lucky. You could buy a 1KZTE for around £1000 possibly however they are rarer than hens teeth. How about putting in a Small Block Chevy, you should be able to get an adaptor plate very easy and you would end up with all the power and torque you can handle. It probably would be no less economical than the Toyota lump and possibly more economical (I used to get 21mpg average out of a 283 engined Camaro which wasn't much lighter in weight than the 4 Runner). I should think you should be able to get an SBC for fairly low cost bearing in mind the number of them made.

Toyota make some of their own engines but most of the Diesel engines for the 4 Runner / Surf come from Hyundai.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

Thanks again
              Steve

AFAIK Hino is part of the Toyota group.
              Toyota do make their own diesel engines
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Small block chevy in a Hilux......... Yum Yum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  You best bet would be to import a totalled (rear ended or something) one from Japan, then you'd have everything you need to do the swap. As has been mentioned, the 3.0 is the way to go.

Personally, I'd love a S/Charged 3.4, but then deisels are common over here and the 3.4 has the cool factor in the UK as its virtually unknown.

Hell, we even think the 3VZE is a cool motor!
                  3.4?............I WANT ONE!......I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!