Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat and cooling - question

Folks,

has anyone got a busted thermostat they haven't thrown away yet...

reason:

I want to replace mine... Already had the head gasket done and head replaced, as it let all the magic blue smoke out about 6 months ago, been fine ever since... but its going to get some stick over the next few months touring Europe with a fair bit of weight in the back... towing, etc...

Fensport as some of you may or may not know as the official TRD dealer for the UK... and they do what they call a "Low Termperature Sports Thermostat", with a cooking temperature of 71 degrees.

1991 HiLux Surf (Landcruiser and Cessida) ['88-'93] use a thermostat toyota part number 90916-03072

I am trying to find a newer toyota that uses the same size thermostat chassis to then get the lower temperature thermostat... or, alternatively, get hold of an old thermostat and send it off to fensport to see if they can match it up with one of their sporty ones.

Spoken to Japarts, and the part number appears to have been superceeded.
    It now should be... 90916-03099 Japarts say to go direct to a toyota dealer and you should pay around £9.91 + vat. operating temperature is about 90 to 99 degrees.

Whilst we are on the rather touchy subject of cooling and overheating, is there any mileage in upgrading to electric fans rather than the existing thermocouple fan...

What have people tried... and where have they got them from...?

andyL
    Last edited by AndyLala; 18 May 2004, 11:51.

Have I already got one?

It seems that my car already has an electric cooling fan in front of the radiator as well as the viscous coupling fan behind the rad.

Maybe you can get one as a bolt on from a breaker......?

Rob

Comment

try pacet or kenlowe, they're a universal fitting, just made in different diameters for different size rads and either sook or blow
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Why? Why? Why? Change the thermostat.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          Why? Why? Why? Change the thermostat.

Neville
          um... so it opens at a lower temperature?
          when i ran mini's i always took it out completely.

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
            Yep that's the result.Now tell me why anyone would want it to open at a lower temperature.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              Yep that's the result.Now tell me why anyone would want it to open at a lower temperature.

Neville
              maybe it's getting too hot and the heater burns his toes?

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                Don't run a Surf with no thermostat, it acts as a restrictor to control the flow rate of water around the block, you can actually end up with a hotter engine when the thermostat is out rather than a proper thermostat in.

Cheers

Comment

Andys right, if you remove the stat, the water goes though the rad too quick, and isn't cooled enough.

A lower stat won't hurt, if just means the motor won't get hot as quick when cold, and may run iffy if the ECU thinks is cold still, but at least it will get full water flow earlier and avoid any hot spots on the motor.

Altering water temps makes an engine run different, lots of ECU inputs vary depending on water temp, I would'nt mess with it to much.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X