Thermostat Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Fitting

I have a new thermostat to fit but after reading Haynes Manual tried to also buy a gasket for the actual housing. Toyota ended up supplying a small rubber ring that came with thermostat anyway. Do I definately need the housing gasket if there is one? and do I need a torque wrench to bolt back together, Haynes recommend 19nm,s the wrench I have does not go that low.
    Any comments appreciated.

gasket

Originally posted by Foxhill
    I have a new thermostat to fit but after reading Haynes Manual tried to also buy a gasket for the actual housing. Toyota ended up supplying a small rubber ring that came with thermostat anyway. Do I definately need the housing gasket if there is one? and do I need a torque wrench to bolt back together, Haynes recommend 19nm,s the wrench I have does not go that low.
    Any comments appreciated.

The rubber ring fits around the outside of the t/stat and forms its seal. Just hand tighten the bolts and nut, make sure the t/stat fits snuggly in its recess.
    Cheers Steve.

Comment

Question

Thanks Steve, is there a gasket for around the bolts? would I be able to re-use it if there was?

Neil

Comment

no gsket for the bolts, just open the 3 x 12mm bolts, pull old stat out, stick new one in, rebolt, 5 mins start to finish, give half hour for beer though

Comment

Use some Never Sieze or whatever similar compound you have over there to prevent corrosion on the bolts and nuts.Steel bolts and alloy housing will always corrode.

Neville

Comment

just got my new thermostat from toyota in exeter and am about to give this a try. will post later saying how I got on.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I will fit the new one at weekend.

NEIL

Comment

the thermostat went in fine amd has cured my overheating probs:

Comment

hi there computingfuture, notice you live near me, i live in exeter and work in axminster, what's your surf, may have seen you. . .
                  Im having overheating problems still, it had a new head a radiator 3 weeks ago, done about 350miles then all of a sudden gauge shot up so i stopped, topped up with water and it now seems fine again, care to share your syptoms with me a im beginning to suspect a stuck thermostat. . .

cheers!
                  matt

Comment

You can remove the Thermostat as a Temporary measure. Ensure no air is trapped in the cooling system.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

hi m8 just reading your message ref still over heating after new head&rad if new stat fitted and bled cooling system check rad cap for perrished rubber seal had same prob 2yrs ago it was just the rad cap hope this is of some help

Comment

Working...
                      X