Auto gear box oil change...help!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto gear box oil change...help!?

Does anyone know how to change the oil on a 3.0l 1994 surf autogear box ?

I have found the details in the sticky posting but no pics on where the refill point is or sump plug. (I think I have found the sump plug but where you fill it is anyones guess!)

Also is there a filter for this oil ? And where is it ? Spare from Milners?

Am quite concerned as I have just purchased a great big caravan (1600kg max load) and want to ensure the autobox and engine are in tip top condition.

Thanks
    Mart

......surf's up pal!

Auto box

You refil it through the gearbox dipstick situated in the rear right of the engine. Mine is coloured red.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORK FULLTIME

Comment

Can't speak for Surf autos, but in general, the filter is in the bottom of the gearbox, you normaly have to take off the sump (autobox not engine) to get the filter out. Quite often there isn't a drain plug to make people take the sump off and service the filter while they are in there.

Its normally a thin mesh that can usually be cleaned out with petrol.

As has been said above, fill it through the dipstick tube.

Just draining the oil leaves a lot in the converter and cooler, to do a proper job you need to undo the hoses on the rad and put one in a bucket of new oil and let the other drain out with the motor running, when clean oil comes out the other pipe you know its all flushed. This may be a bit involved and any change of oil is better then nothing.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Don't know if this helps any (from the 4Runner Haynes manual)....
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok changed the ATF oil on my 1995 3ltr auto last weekend as it was low. Glad I did as the oil didn't look or smell great. Anyway, drained it in to a bucket, weighed it then filled an identical bucket with the same amount. Put that in checked dipstick with engine running and cycling through gears and it still showed it on the bottom end of the 'cool' markings (to be expected as that was where it was when i started). Anyway I must have added nearly an extra litre of oil and the level hasn't risen much if at all, am I missing something??
          Any advice would be gratefully received as I don't want to overfill it.

Comment

Iv'e always found It more accurate to check when hot ,cycle through the gears and leave the motor running. Iv'e had some odd results trying to read the dipstick cold.

Apologies If you were reading with the oil hot.
            www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

I know what you mean but unfortunately I was checking it hot. Just seems odd that it's not increasing despite me adding more?!!!
              Thanks anyway.

Comment

theres 6 litres in there.
                私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Manual Gearbox SAE 75W/90 3.9 Litres drain & refill
                  Automatic Gearbox ATF Dexron III 1.2 Litres drain & refill 6.5 Litres dry fill

Comment

Dont worry about it, just top up untill it's showing on the hot scale.

Have you got a transmission cooler?
                    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Not that I know of but how would I tell?

Comment

Working...
                      X