Replace or rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace or rebuild?

I have to make a desition, I brought a Surf with a knocking engine for a reasonable sum. It was once a member of this forums, Josh, Kiwi carpentry.
    I have removed and stripped the engine, no.4 piston had siezed. Reason unclear but turbo has had it and it would have been drinking oil, also the head has reciently been replaced so I guess it's been cooked.
    I can either rebuild the engine with new piston in no.4 and a rehone as bores measure ok, also replacing all bearings, rings etc... and a second hand turbo. Or buy an engine from parts are us in Birmingham for £800 cash including turbo.
    Both options are about the same cost rebuild probley a bit cheaper but not rebored (that gets expensive and the bores are only 2 thou out).
    I'm a bit worried that the import might last for 10,000 miles then die, but am also worried that I rebuild the engine and find the pump or injectors etc.. are knackered. At least with the import I'd have the other motor for spares!!!
    Anyone any good with desitions, I'm not.

Originally posted by Dazza
    I have to make a desition, I brought a Surf with a knocking engine for a reasonable sum. It was once a member of this forums, Josh, Kiwi carpentry.
    I have removed and stripped the engine, no.4 piston had siezed. Reason unclear but turbo has had it and it would have been drinking oil, also the head has reciently been replaced so I guess it's been cooked.
    I can either rebuild the engine with new piston in no.4 and a rehone as bores measure ok, also replacing all bearings, rings etc... and a second hand turbo. Or buy an engine from parts are us in Birmingham for £800 cash including turbo.
    Both options are about the same cost rebuild probley a bit cheaper but not rebored (that gets expensive and the bores are only 2 thou out).
    I'm a bit worried that the import might last for 10,000 miles then die, but am also worried that I rebuild the engine and find the pump or injectors etc.. are knackered. At least with the import I'd have the other motor for spares!!!
    Anyone any good with desitions, I'm not.
    is there a warranty on the 2nd hand engine? if cash is not an issue i'd replace engine then rebuild in your own time the old engine. either to keep as a spare or sell on
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

If the cost is the same I would buy the second engine, yeah the head may go on you but as you say the current one has just had the head done so just swap it over if it does. For the same money for the second engine you get lots of spares by keeping you current one as the spare.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Thank you that helps and makes sence, yup there is a four month warrenty and it would be nice to have loads of spares.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazza
          Thank you that helps and makes sence, yup there is a four month warrenty and it would be nice to have loads of spares.
          My opinion for what it's worth is to rebuild. At least you will know what the engine is like and can take your time and do it properly.

Mind you the extra spares would be usefull.

Cheers

Comment

Rebuild

Hi l would go along with lucky and rebuild you never know what you are buying 2nd hand, l am rebiulding my OFFROADER engine its going to cost abit more but l will know its OK when done.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Definitely Re-build, you will know and trust the engine. If you use it for work it's going to cost you at least two days work and a hefty tow home charge if it packs up on you. If you have to have the bore re-sleeved I think they use a Merc one. Had to do this last year myself and glad I did.

Geoff.
              Last edited by rubblebags; 23 April 2004, 01:46.
              Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Was out in the shed till midnight cleaning up my bores, they are fine so I think a rebuild is in order. Where the piston had siezed I scraped it with a blade and the metal just popped off the bore, then I honed it with a mates snapon tool. Need a few bits and definatly a new piston. I don't feel confident about an imported engine, might be up and running soon, can't wait!!

Comment

Working...
                X