Evening all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening all

I'm looking to get a 2nd gen surf and wanted to know are the 2.4's really as bad as everyone makes out?
    Ideally I want to find a 3.0 import but there doesn't seem to be that many around at the minute. So I was just curious what everyone's thought are on the 2.4's I know the 3.0 are slightly more powerful but does that make that much difference. I've also head about all the head problems with the 2.4 is that also as bad as everyone makes out?

Cheers for any help and sorry if these questions have been asked a million times, I just don't want to buy a lemon

There are plenty of 3.0 about the 2.4 is underpowered and under a lot of stress with the auto box stick out for the 3.0 they are worlds apart the 1KZT cracks heads too! make sure the cooling system is in tip top condition. Happy hunting.
    I just happen to have a genuine 2.4td head from a 2001 pick up for sale if you find the need for one.
    Last edited by The Boo Crew; 28 March 2017, 17:43.
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Go for a 3lt if possible, as Boo says the 2.4 is a bit underpowered but saying that I have had one for over 12 years, it was slow as ferk when I got it but I have done many mods to get it up on its feet and it's not at all bad now,
      if you do look at a 2.4 give it a dam good looking at, test drive and try and find out it's service history, mines still running on it's original head (touch veneered chipboard) it's still going well
      the problem was on the first few (don't know how many) off the line and caused by a water way too close to a combustion chamber, not a real problem in its self but add poorly maintained and the problems start, check for water in the exhaust (when up to temp) sludge in the expansion tank and the thermostat cap and oil cap, other that that they aint bad at all, 3lt's also do their heads in if the coolant flow ways aren't flushed properly (like any car really).
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Now't wrong if ya can find a one or two owner well looked after with service history 2nd Gen, I had one over 6 n 1/2 years no real problems (Madcambell) still runs it ....
        But the last 9 years I can't fault the 2nd Gen 3.0l, it's worth the wait for a 3.0l
        Good Luck

16+ Years of Surfs .. n Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers for all that guys really helpful information
          I have found a 2nd gen 3l for sale at the minute that im pretty interested in that's not a million miles away, the onky thing is it's got 56K miles on it, not that that's a bad thing but to me it means it hasn't been used much but I'm gunna go have a look check it all over and we may have a winner if ita all good

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuy View Post
            I have found a 2nd gen 3l for sale at the minute that im pretty interested in that's not a million miles away, the onky thing is it's got 56K miles on it, not that that's a bad thing but to me it means it hasn't been used much but I'm gunna go have a look check it all over and we may have a winner if ita all good
            Sounds good, got any pics? like you say give it a good go over
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

There's one in brummy land up for sale due to bereavement of it owner if this falls through

Comment

The 3 litre is what you want , but that low mileage is unlikely to be genuine. Good luck and post pics if it works out.

Comment

That was my thought on the mileage but I've checked the mot history and it seems pretty stable over the past 10 years or so. Hopefully he hasn't sold it today and ilk go have alook tomorrow, but I'm taking my boss with me who has owned loads of land rovers and knows 4x4's alot better than me so if he says it's shit I won't be buying it

Comment

Yes they get clocked before leaving Japan or on arrival in the country of destination by the unscrupulous dealer. So the MOTs will be consistent because they started when the car was registered and it had already been clocked. Anyway that's a not a problem , some people on the forum drive surfs that are in their 300000 Km so hopefully it will be a decent one. Mileage is not that important.Let us know how you get on. Cheers

Comment

My thoughts exactly, I'm the kind of person that will see a car with high milage and think okay it's actually been driven properly and nit just sat in a drive and driven 3 miles a week for 20 years haha

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                        Yes they get clocked before leaving Japan
                        And you think/assume or KNOW this ? Theres a chance that some do, but its far from a given.
                        Сви можемо

Comment

My thoughts exactly, I'm the kind of person that will see a car with high milage and think okay it's actually been driven properly and nit just sat in a drive and driven 3 miles a week for 20 years haha
                          Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                            And you think/assume or KNOW this ? Theres a chance that some do, but its far from a given.
                            Sure, in fact I think most cars available on the Jap import sites (Be-forward etc) are not clocked, if I am not mistaken they even give you proof of mileage at some extra cost.
                            However, I know some arrive already clocked, I have seen them myself at the holding bay where they are kept before duty is paid...some very tired 20 year old corollas with 35000 km on the clock, nice shiny steering wheel, gas pedal worn to death... The shipping agent told me it was more common some years ago when there were less checks on the Japanese auctions.
                            Once the vehicle is in the country of final destination, the equipment to tamper with the odometer (digital or analog) is widely available to anyone. I have seen it in action here, whereby a smokey old Pajero lost 150000 km overnight...

Cheers

Comment

That was my thought on the mileage but I've checked the mot history and it seems pretty stable over the past 10 years or so. Hopefully he hasn't sold it today and ilk go have alook tomorrow, but I'm taking my boss with me who has owned loads of land rovers and knows 4x4's alot better than me so if he says it's shit I won't be buying it
                              If he's a Landrover man he might just say its shit anyway! green oval fans nearly always slag jap crap off, then put Isuzu, Daihatsu, Nissan engines in!
                              Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Working...
                              X