Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re brakes

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
    I think RT do that ABS toothed ring , I remember buying it when I did the leaky rear hub. Worth a check

Cheers
    was RT that didn't have one in, awaiting delivery from dubai

Comment

re brakes and bearings bloody nightmare

ok so finally got my truck back this weekend, complete new rear brake system ,new bearing seal and abs ring, took it out for s short run got back and oils all around the inner arch and back of brake plate.
      so really ####ed off now. the garage as ether fitted it wrong or damage the seal when fitting it back, i cant think of anything els.

if anyone can suggest whether it could be something els please do

Comment

You need to find out if it's diff oil that's leaking onto the wheel arch,or brake fluid. Diff oil has a very definite smell. That way you can narrow the problem down. My money is on the diff oil.
        IF it is diff oil, the bearing/hub on that side will need to be redone. It's a tricky job involving a number of seals and O rings and not much space at all. First time my mechanic did it, three or four years ago,it leaked again after a few days. Second time round it worked and not leaked again since.
        Good luck.

Comment

You need to find out if it's diff oil that's leaking onto the wheel arch,or brake fluid. Diff oil has a very definite smell. That way you can narrow the problem down. My money is on the diff oil.
          IF it is diff oil, the bearing/hub on that side will need to be redone. It's a tricky job involving a number of seals and O rings and not much space at all. First time my mechanic did it, three or four years ago,it leaked again after a few days. Second time round it worked and not leaked again since.
          Good luck.
          Hi tashtego
          first of all thanks for your reply, its so frustrating i just shed out loads for new parts then had to pay garage to fit it all, only to be back to the original problem. So anyway these seals and o rings you mention, are they not part of the bearing kit ? i only ask because the bearing kit came with seals

Comment

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/fag-rear...-seal-kit.html

Yes it's all those bits found in the wheel bearing kit, see above link to the RT one. It comes with a diagram but I think it's still easy to get it wrong , I guess it's a job garages don't do very often. The garage will be able to re-use the expensive bits , you might just need to replace one of both of the black rubber seals. If that is the case you can buy them separately. That's what happened with mine , I think he had fitted one the wrong way round or too far down the shaft or something like that. Many threads on here from people who had the job done more than once . There's also a good thread on how to do it yourself but it is way beyond my capabilities.
            Cheers

Comment

Hi again tashtego
              again thank you very much for your reply, i have took the truck to the garage, and there unable to look at it until the weekend ( happy to take money tho ) anyway i will be passing and i will pop in and mention it to them, i doubt the will admit or except blame tho. i will keep you posted and thank you for your info

much appreciate Matt

Comment

No probs, let us know how you get on.

Comment

No probs, let us know how you get on.
                  ok, got some good news today ( fingers crossed ) garage called to say come and pick it up, got there and they said the oil was coming from the damaged abs sensor which they did tell me about. apparently this is where the oil was coming from, so thay have sealed it until i can get another sensor. so took truck for good old scrub up local pressure washer, washed the under arches and now left until i can take it out next, this weekend. i really do hope this is it. will keep you posted.
                  Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X