No announcement yet.

starting - glow plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been waiting for the second click before cranking, so perhaps as a result the cylinders have cooled too much. I will try that tomorrow morning.

I was wondering if the glow plug light going out after a few seconds meant they were cutting out too early as other diesels I have owned it was a case of crank when the light goes out.

Comment

on these trucks once the light goes out you need to wait for the first relay click and then turn the engine over.If its struggling then try heating the plugs a couple of times and see if it starts better.
      There was a spate of this a couple of years back and quite a few members had to change the plugs to solve the problem including my old truck
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Odd question but my glow light is only on for 1 second at the most

Comment

Originally posted by Gundog View Post
          If I am reading the posts correctly, we should be turning the key after the light goes out on the dash.

does anyone have a manual that gives an accurate description on the glow plug sequence?

During the colder months (11 of them in Wales) switch on ignition and wait 'till you hear the beep. Switch off and repeat but this time crank the engine over after the beep and it should start easier.
          Doing it twice or more makes the glowplugs hotter than if you were to just crank the engine after the first attempt.

p.s. No 'ignition on' beep on the 3.0.

Comment

I have found that my Surf is starting better after cranking on the first "clunk" after the light goes out. I am also priming the filter with a few pumps as well, so perhaps it has been a combination of fuel draining back and waiting to long which has been giving me gyp. I will monitor it for the next couple of days to see how it is getting along.

Comment

Since the day I got my surf (3.0Litre) the glowplug light has gone out after about 1 sec - I checked around and it seems to be a common problem. I wait for 10 secs and she starts on the first turn even on the coldest of days.
              Looks Fade, But Dumb Is Forever

Comment

glow light going out after 1 second

I have the same problem, with my glow plugs, I put key in ignition n after a second the light goes out, but I kept hearing the click n clunk and thought that would be best time to start Beastie up, some days she starts straight up but can run lumpy a bit but when I rev engine n cleared all the smoke she is sound. Now some days I wait like always n she struggles to start might even have to try 3/4 times. Any ideas on this problem.

Comment

Working...
                X