Rear wheel bearing retainer ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel bearing retainer ring

Is it posible to get the retaining ring hot enough to expand enough to fall in to place, using only a domestic gas cooker ring?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

You'll be lucky.............It will need alot of heat OR a press
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Nah, but you don't need to.

I took mine to a local garage to be done in their press, they played around for several hours and couldn't figure out how to fit it in. They gave up in the end.

As I was coming back home I walked past a local garden - come - hardware store, and outside they had a washing line pole thing (8ft long metal tube). The diameter was just slightly wider than the retainer ring. It was only £11 to I bought it. Got it home, quick hammering to make the end oval shaped, and it was a perfect fit. 1 minute of slide-hammer work with the pole, and the bearing ring is sitting perfectly in place.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

it might take a bit of time and your journey time ring to shaft needs to be short but if you can get it dull red that is enough, try doing it first before fitting, a second heat up won't hurt, remember the hottest part of any flame is the point of the blue part of the flame, it might be better to use a small gas ring to concentrate the heat. I found when the ring was dull cherry red it fell over the shaft with room to spare.....I used a normal propane blowlamp, propped the ring on bricks with nominal touching and it heated easily and quick too, good luck
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Working...
        X