It looks like the end (for the surf)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like the end (for the surf)

Well, it had to happen. I travel a lot for work, and for the last few years I have been using my Surf, and the company has provided a fuelcard and maintenance allowance, it’s worked out great. Of course it has meant putting a lot of miles on the surf, but I have travelled in comfort and not had to worry about fuel costs. I was just about to trade up for a new 3l as my old 2.4 has done 124,000 miles (not clicks).

However a memo has just come round saying that the company will not provide fuel for cars that do worse than 44mpg (what our fleet mondeo estates do at worst apparently). From when I next change my car, or the end of the year, whichever is sooner, I’ll have to either; Use the a company Mondeo (bad on the tax), or change to a car that does better than 44mpg, or put enough feul out of my own pocket to make up the difference between 25mpg and 44mpg for 30,000 miles per year, which I guess is about 2-3k a year.

So I guess I’ll be buying a 1700 turbodiesel astra. I’m going to have to buy a transit van for some other stuff I am doing, and I can’t justify having 2 cars, a surf and a van, so it looks like the beloved surf will have to go.

Anyway, if anyone has any brilliant ideas to get me out of this one I’d be interested. If not does anyone want to buy a cheap, high milage, but sound 2.4 surf at the end of summer, or to trade a really tidy transit for a surf plus some cash?

heres an idea, dont buy a transit, get a trailer!

good luck, that man
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
      Well, it had to happen. I travel a lot for work, and for the last few years I have been using my Surf, and the company has provided a fuelcard and maintenance allowance, it’s worked out great. Of course it has meant putting a lot of miles on the surf, but I have travelled in comfort and not had to worry about fuel costs. I was just about to trade up for a new 3l as my old 2.4 has done 124,000 miles (not clicks).

However a memo has just come round saying that the company will not provide fuel for cars that do worse than 44mpg (what our fleet mondeo estates do at worst apparently). From when I next change my car, or the end of the year, whichever is sooner, I’ll have to either; Use the a company Mondeo (bad on the tax), or change to a car that does better than 44mpg, or put enough feul out of my own pocket to make up the difference between 25mpg and 44mpg for 30,000 miles per year, which I guess is about 2-3k a year.

So I guess I’ll be buying a 1700 turbodiesel astra. I’m going to have to buy a transit van for some other stuff I am doing, and I can’t justify having 2 cars, a surf and a van, so it looks like the beloved surf will have to go.

Anyway, if anyone has any brilliant ideas to get me out of this one I’d be interested. If not does anyone want to buy a cheap, high milage, but sound 2.4 surf at the end of summer, or to trade a really tidy transit for a surf plus some cash?
      just dont ell them what milage it does, and get the 3l, Or just change jobs, become self employed and then claim the milage back on the tax return for business milage.
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

vegoil...bio...?

Comment

Figures for a Modeo estate...

Approx fuel consumption (all figures are for guidance only).
          Manual transmission.
          Urban 24 mpg
          Extra urban 45.6 mpg
          Combined 34.9 mpg
          Automatic transmission.
          Urban 22.4 mpg
          Extra urban 38.7 mpg
          Combined 30.7 mpg

You can get nearly an average of 30mpg from a Auto 3.0 Surf driven normally.

Baring mind this is for a new car, vs a 10 year old 4x4, its anther reason why the Eco-nazi's have it all wrong.

Ban all Mondeos!!!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

looking at getting a little 1.3/1.4 car just for work thanks to our beloved government, as i do about 15000 miles a year just working. trying to get an insurance to cover surf, car and maybe misses motor too (she wont drive truck "its toooo big" ) just as well really you ought to see her drive . tried looking at a traders but seems a bit complicated choosing what trade to be in
            Working at last.......

Comment

Well,

If you need something that doesn't guzzle fuel and has a decent load capacity there is always option Z !!!!!!

Even the greenie meanies wouldn't complain about this.

Option X is to go back the bean counters and tell them to find you a vehicle with the load capacity of a transit which can run all day on an eggcup of fuel.

Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave

What a shame. I'm in a similar position, I used to get 45p a mile for using my own car. Then I got promoted and got a car allowance (about 10% of salary), but the mileage rate dropped to 12p!! To get round it if I'm doing any distance I hire a car and claim it on expenses, along with the petrol!! Works nicely for me and nobody has question it, although I've got to drive to the midlands in a Picasso on Monday

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                  Well,

If you need something that doesn't guzzle fuel and has a decent load capacity there is always option Z !!!!!!

Even the greenie meanies wouldn't complain about this.

Option X is to go back the bean counters and tell them to find you a vehicle with the load capacity of a transit which can run all day on an eggcup of fuel.

Blimey Trev, where did you dig that picture up from?
                  Got an itch, might need to scratch it soon.

Comment

my 2.0d mondeo (51reg) shows about 35mpg overall on the dash computer... that's the TDi, not the newer TDCi

(pretty much the same duratorque engine as a transit)
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Martin
                      Blimey Trev, where did you dig that picture up from?
                      Good old Google

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Melons 1.8 focus tdci (02) only just manages 44mpg on all round driving so a mondeo must be alot worst
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

"Maintenance allowance" ?

Either they pay for you to buy and run a car (upwards of £300 / month is the going rate), or they pay pence-per-mile, or they pay "actual costs", i.e. fuel + pence-per-mile for indirect expenses.

Unless you're in the first situation, they need to provide you with the tools for the job, i.e. company car, pool car or hire car. Your employer can only stipulate what tools you use IF they provide them.

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
                            "Maintenance allowance" ?

Either they pay for you to buy and run a car (upwards of £300 / month is the going rate), or they pay pence-per-mile, or they pay "actual costs", i.e. fuel + pence-per-mile for indirect expenses.

Unless you're in the first situation, they need to provide you with the tools for the job, i.e. company car, pool car or hire car. Your employer can only stipulate what tools you use IF they provide them.
                            Like I said, they'll give me a mondeo to use gratis, just costs me the tax. It's been my choice to run the surf and the allowance has made it better than cost neutral (I've been lucky, in 50,000 miles it's had a cambelt, four tyres, pads, a backbox and a rear windscreen motor, plus the usual oil and filters, and thats it). Doesn't really matter what the allowance was, I was happy with it.

That deal isn't on the table this year, and I don't believe in whining about my job. If I was really offended I'd leave and find another job, but I'm probably burning an extra 3k a year of thier diesel a year by using the surf so I can't blame them (specially as some of my collegues are burning even more)

If I buy a diesel astra for 5k with 70,000 on the clock I might actually just about make money out of the allowance even allowing for depreciation to near zero over 3 years or so, then if I want to run the surf it's just up to me to pay for it like anyone else would.

Unfortunately I plan to build a house so I need a van (no-where secure to park a big trailer) so I probably can't afford the surf as well. hey-ho. maybe i'll just keep it till the wheels fall off whether it makes sense or not.

Comment

Sounds like you fell into the same hole as me then.

I used to get 33p/mile to run my Citroen (at 8p/mile in fuel), now I get a hire car parked on the drive

Still, means I can afford to swap the Berlingo for a SAAB Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X