yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual or Automatic... What's your preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual or Automatic... What's your preference?

I know it is very much of a personal preference, however what is better in terms of automatic or manual...

When stuck in traffic I guess automatic has always been the friendlier option, otherwise I wouldn't want to be constantly changing gears to 1st and 2nd for much of the journey to work or back.

Is the reliability the same; do automatics have common problems especially on the 3.0 models?

Originally posted by adeel

I know it is very much of a personal preference, however what is better in terms of automatic or manual...

When stuck in traffic I guess automatic has always been the friendlier option, otherwise I wouldn't want to be constantly changing gears to 1st and 2nd for much of the journey to work or back.

Is the reliability the same; do automatics have common problems especially on the 3.0 models?
    more autos about so manual tends to have a slightly higher price... no clutch to worry about, haven't heard of any common problems with auto either... (perhaps slight issue with trans cooler, but easy to sort if a problem)
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Neither has any reoccurring problems, either will break if abused. you'll be here for years going round in circles asking what people prefer.

I'll take either, no preferances.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not heard of any common probs with the auto box. If you do a lot of towing it may be worth fitting an extra oil cooler. But I have never had any problems.
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I`ve got a manual, had no problems with it apart from sometimes being sticky going into reverse, but I`ve had that with most of the motors I`ve had.

I`ve never driven an auto before

Comment

This is my first Auto.....
            Downside latent kick when you want power

Upside easy traffic motoring, one less thing to worry about offroad

for laziness...its great

for performance.... want a stick!
            Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

MAN or AUTO

Hi as a ex auto gearbox repairer l ofcourse will go for the auto any day, l find the "TOYOTA" auto box like the "HILUX" hard to break, if your going to go "OFF ROAD" with your SURF then l would go for the AUTO. And for "TOWING" you cant beat the auto again as mentioned in other posts an additonal cooler wood be adviseable if doing long or frequent towing. Ofcoruse the manual would be a little bit better on the MPG.
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

If you want that low down torque for pulling then go for an auto.....if you wanna be recovered on a cross coutry trip across the sahara ...yeah right!......manual.

I have owned manuals but have driven autos in various motors here and in the states [on holiday] and just find it easier to relax.
                Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                  If you want that low down torque for pulling then go for an auto.....if you wanna be recovered on a cross coutry trip across the sahara ...yeah right!......manual.

I have owned manuals but have driven autos in various motors here and in the states [on holiday] and just find it easier to relax.

Personal preference is manual always has been, had an auto on a car and sold it after two months just couldn't get on with it. But will say that I find the Surf more of a relaxed drive as opposed to the more sporty cars I tend well used to drive, so could see myself with an auto in a Surf.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Manual is what I have but after taking a '94 3.0l automatic for a 3 mile spin ...... it rocked !

Comment

well...this is my first auto and i do enjoy being able to drink cans of orange fanta whilst pulling off lights and turning into tescos car park..however I WANT A MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!! this is not the only car i drive and i always forget to change down in the others or try moving the stick in the truck. whilst i am on this gripe...whos clever idea was it to put the switch sticks opposite way round. i am that person who indicates using his wipers!

Comment

Originally posted by mat1
                        well...this is my first auto and i do enjoy being able to drink cans of orange fanta whilst pulling off lights and turning into tescos car park..however I WANT A MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!! this is not the only car i drive and i always forget to change down in the others or try moving the stick in the truck. whilst i am on this gripe...whos clever idea was it to put the switch sticks opposite way round. i am that person who indicates using his wipers!

and i suppose you flash people with washer fluid
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

I`ve got a manual, had no problems with it apart from sometimes being sticky going into reverse
                          I have found you cant get into reverse without a crunch makes you look like a bad driver.
                          Johnny

Comment

i love mi surf but if i could get a buyer and sell up and buy a manual i would. mine seems to rev high at motorway speeds that is the only downer that i have about my surf. not being able to afford any changes at this time i will carry on as iam for now ...........
                            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

personal preference - automatic - no problems whatsoever with mine on or off road. Engine braking off road is exceptional good for an auto,

we've got a manual surf and 4 runner too, and they are great to drive too - just my preference is for auto and always has been - cant see the point of fiddling around with a gear lever ever 2 mins round town when you dont have to.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X