starting/ fuel issues - resolved at temporally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting/ fuel issues - resolved at temporally

I'm posting this to help any others that may have a similar issue.

i have a 3.0td surf kzn130 model, it had been lying up since christmas due to me breaking the exhaust playing in puddles and i got given my dad's megane for my birthday so didn't need to use it.

anyway we decided we wanted to doa road trip to spain in the surf since its the biggest & we're bringing stuff back from my partner's late dad's villa.

so surf wouldn't start...been lying a while managed to get it started from a jump round to the driveway and got the ball joints done (stick a socket inbetween the upper wishbone & behind the bumpstop to give you more room)
    i had left it run to charge up batteries...no problem started no problem for days after that.

got a new exhaust from the local auto parts shop & due to lack of time I had put it into a garage to get work done & i didn't fancy snapping 20yrs old studs either.

down pipe on...centre box was right...no flexy peice at all & tail piece was wrong.....away back round to the shop i went.

Issues galore & the attitude that I didn't know anything about the car due to being a woman sank....even tried to palm me off with the excuse that the flexi was "main dealer only" pfft raging...eventually got the manager and he sourced the flexi for me from the same place the exhaust came from in the first place, but no tail pipe avaliable til the monday.

I was leaving on tuesday! so away back round to the garage I went to collect Sally and pay the mechanic for the work done (i caould do the rest myself). she wouldn't start..... tried jumping her .....nothing.....enough churn but just not starting

primer was soft.....primed by hand & tried again nothing

starter was spinning fast enough....maybe just not enough amps from batteries to turn her over...tried a jump....nothing

checked fuel into injectors....nothing.

mechanic was going out so left it overnight & came back in the morning...stuck it on a jump & boom away she went.

took her home, my partner fitted the remainder of the exhaust since i was away over to scotland to drop off pets to my mums.....left the doors open didn't he.....won't start again.

sunday was spent charging batteries whislt building a tailpipe out of the old flexi peice and the old tailpipe....still wouldn't start....not even on a 2 car jump...

spent monday tring to figure out what was up, got 2 new batteries just incase even got the AA out to have a look.. got him to check voltages at glowplugs and fuel pump...again power but no fuel at injectors....away hunting the net I went.

found on her it was likely to be down to a blocked spill control valve located on the top of the pump with a black top.....but its a fuel pump out job to change & I wasn't going to get the part in time for my boat the next day

kept searching for a solution and found someone on here had heated their's up with a HAIR DRYER!!! I thought & another who just unplugged the ecu & plugged in back in again.

ecu trick tried....nothing.

desperate & determined I tried the hairdryer...literally 30seconds aimed at the black peice...wasn't even hot & moved wires out of the way btw....

BOOM AWAY SHE WENT!!! she's alive & is currently on the ferry half way to france....didn't have any issues on my 300 mile journey to the ferry port, started at each toilet stop not a problem !!!!

hope this helps someone
    Last edited by surfing*the*waves; 23 March 2016, 14:41.

no issues whilst away and back home again

Comment

you should not punished it leaving it not in use in first place
      glad all went well for you
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I've got a similar problem at the moment, if I leave it overnight, it takes a good while to turn over, even giving it plenty of time for the glows. Next thing to check is the primer, I had a look this morning, but can't see where it is (new owner). Any pointers? I've got a KZN185 though, so don't know if it's going to be in a wildly different position.

EDIT: Ignore me, found it: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelfilter.htm
        Last edited by sdfgsteve; 24 April 2016, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
          you should not punished it leaving it not in use in first place
          glad all went well for you
          oh I know, Just lack of time,cheers tho

Originally posted by sdfgsteve View Post
          I've got a similar problem at the moment, if I leave it overnight, it takes a good while to turn over, even giving it plenty of time for the glows. Next thing to check is the primer, I had a look this morning, but can't see where it is (new owner). Any pointers? I've got a KZN185 though, so don't know if it's going to be in a wildly different position.

EDIT: Ignore me, found it: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelfilter.htm
          No probs, sorry i hadn't got round to asnwering you yet

Comment

OK wee update since our spain trip.

Whilst in Ireland, France, Spain and Portugal everything was fine, started each and every time, got us all the way there and back with a full load.

Got home parked her up & she wouldn't start for A MONTH!
            Just refused point blank.

Finally got her going again, took her for a wee drive parked back up. then the starting was an intermittent issue & I would only take the truck on journeys if it didn't require turning the engine off.

So Mid September my alternator starts playing up on my Megane, so thought I'd use the surf to get to work. She went well all week til the Friday on my way home.

Just a splut, splut, died. Right over head the line on the Lurgan Railway bridge!!

Knowing this line is an issue here & I couldn't leave a scabby vehicle sitting right above it. I got out & started to push it off the brush. High heels and car pushing don't mix!

anyway a guy & passenger stopped help me push the best to a safe place & gave me a lift into town.

went and got it later that night towing it home with the Mondeo, that was slow going but we got there. anyway now she won't start at all.

I know the ECU & spill control value could both be culprits, I know when it happens there's not fuel to the injectors despite the manual pump being primed.

I can get a spill control value from roughtrax for £150 odds. ecu no idea.

does any one know how to check these 2 to determine the fault?

I know nothing about electronics beyond plug & play or fitting a battery really.

I did manage to take the air box out again & I took the 32 nut off thinking this was the valve ( its the black topped bit) & I know there's fuel in the pump cos it splashed me.

I think its the scv but don't know much part what I've experienced unfortunately.

can any one help me determine please?

also what is all required to remove the pump or can you do it on the car?

is the timing involved? i dont know nothing bout timing other that when its wrong it destroys

thanks

Comment

Some info here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ev0BWyG8FeoQbg
              Hope this helps n Good Luck

16+ Years of Surfs .. n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So now only the 1....
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Pants!

right is there manual to follow somewhere If never done anything to do with a pump before.

what tools do I need?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi,

I am having a similar problem, with an intermittent sudden cut out, sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days, then it cuts out, out of the blue. Once it has cut out, it then struggles to restart.
                  Last week I got some leaky caps replaced in the ECU and now it seems fine, although it's only a week and it could easily happen again...

Reading on the Aussies and US forums it seems that in the end it's often the ECU behind those non start/cut out issues.

You could try sending it to them

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

for a check (35 Pounds I think) before looking into the SCV, fuel pump etc.

Cheers
                  Last edited by tashtego; 29 October 2016, 19:02.

Comment

I have a home made puller that I used to get my pump off.

You can borrow if it's any use to you?

Comment

I've only had mine cut whilst driving once and it was literally like

I've tried to get an omps reading but i'm getting nowt through the grey plug & only 1.74v.

I am tempted to just get the SPC because when mine first done it the fuel was low (maybe some gunk - tank has never been cleaned except with redex types)
                      and I managed to get it started with a hairdryer the first time, every other time has been off the key.

tell you what i'll do the valve first and then the ecu & we'll collaborate results

Comment

That makes sense, to look at the spill control valve first.
                        Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Spill control valve - without pump removal!

So me being the stubborn person I am I decided didn't want to remove the pump. I'm changing this part without taking the pump out.

Its doable - so doable a woman can do it!

right OK a wee right up!

Comment

Spill control valve - without pump removal - how to guide

Full SCV write up with no pump removal

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgLbhLNYIA2PmQbMFgQBpzKi8tm9

Comment

Working...
                            X