Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Install

Hi Everyone,

I have been an owner for the last couple years. I joined up on this forum but ended up creeping more than participating because I fell victim to the dreaded cracking cylinder head. Unfortunately the guy that imported my Surf did a less than stellar job on picking out the truck and I had to get a new engine. Anyway after a couple months we finally got the engine in and running. I have a couple questions for you guys :

- There are two wires that my mechanic has no idea what to do with. He has the brown wire grounded on the turbo, and the 3 wires on the buzz bar (which caused a few issues) but Surfs are rare here and he is not familiar. Maybe someone will know where they go?

- Now that I have her going, but I haven't driven anywhere ... what should I do? Just let her warm up and drive it around the block. I am still missing an oil pressure sensor and I would like to get my pyro meter installed as well. Also need to get the winter tires off her to prevent getting a ticket from the cops...lol

- All the objects in the dash are lit up right now ... anyway I can get rid of this? I don't know if my local Toyota could do anything I doubt they have any diagnostics for the Surf

Thank you guys so much. These forums have helped a lot and actually helped me get her running again. Cheers and thanks in advance!

update

Hi everyone

Here is a picture of the wire. It is black with a white trace & next to the ground for the turbo. If you know what it is for PLEASE let me know!!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...&sz=w1896-h835

Also we are trying to move the truck out of the garage but it won't move. Is this due to the oil pressure sensor not being hooked up or something different? Thanks in advance!

Comment

cant see it, it says the page is forbidden.
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
        cant see it, it says the page is forbidden.
        Try this

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10195084...43942424765451

Comment

All the dash lights on is probably the alternator.
          It could be the wires were damaged or maybe moved during the head swop.

Might be worth checking the batteries first though.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by jode View Post
            - There are two wires that my mechanic has no idea what to do with. He has the brown wire grounded on the turbo, and the 3 wires on the buzz bar (which caused a few issues) but Surfs are rare here and he is not familiar. Maybe someone will know where they go?

- All the objects in the dash are lit up right now ... anyway I can get rid of this? I don't know if my local Toyota could do anything I doubt they have any diagnostics for the Surf
            there should not be any wire grounding on the turbo.
            buzz bar ?? sounds like its aftermarket.
            black white wire could be alternator earth but considerering the above it could be aftermarket item.
            really need better pics of engine bay.

Comment

I'll take some better pics and get em back to you.

I think the part name is actually BUS bar but I might be using the wrong term. Its where all the electrical goes for the glow plugs and all that.

Our first problems was we were blowing the glow plug fuse but we fixed that.

After we fixed that we couldn't get her started and my husband noticed the turbo light flickering. My mechanic put a brown wire that was left unhooked and grounded it on the turbo. If it is not supposed to go on the turbo, where does it go?

Thanks all!

Comment

Second on the pics.

Having the pics will help us to help you.

Post up some pics of your truck too.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

hey guys, my hilux starts but...
                  * All the lights are on in the dash
                  * once taken out of park into drive it wont move
                  *when you rev the motor the hand moves on the dash
                  * changing from drive back to park a loud grinding happens

a few wires are not hooked up and we don't know where they go pictures for them here..

We know we still need what "we think" is the oil pressure sensor, but would that stop the vehicle from moving all together?

Comment

Here's the truck before she kicked the bucket

Comment

hey guys, my hilux starts but...
                      * All the lights are on in the dash
                      Alternator issues.
                      * once taken out of park into drive it wont move
                      *when you rev the motor the hand moves on the dash
                      * changing from drive back to park a loud grinding happens
                      Transfer lever is in neutral, pull back towards seat.

We know we still need what "we think" is the oil pressure sensor, but would that stop the vehicle from moving all together?
                      No. See above.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        No. See above.
                        I'm pretty sure I had it in "D". lol

What could be wrong with the alternator? Would it be a electrical issue? Pls explain a bit more for the non mechanically inclined.. thanks

Comment

Just went out to mess with the truck again

- Dash lights are normal again now. Computer must have matched up with the new engine
                          - RPM meter is moving but speedometer is not
                          - Put drive lever in D, R and 2 wont move on either
                          - When I put the truck back in P, makes a grinding noise.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            No. See above.

should it be in N or H when starting? its in the N position now

Comment

should it be in N or H when starting? its in the N position now
                              F*&%&^kin blonde moment there. Yeah you are right had her in N when we took the transmission apartment. Put her in H4 and she is moving around now. Dash lights are coming on and off when I hit the accelerator. When I hit the gas normally they come off. Seems to be running fine other wise

Comment

Working...
                              X