Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Remove and Refit.

Hi All,

Surf started to overheat a couple of weeks back, Only in traffic. Found the rear heater natrix to be leaking. Git it fixed and now the same has ahppened with the engine cooling rad. Seems like the top has a couple of small pin holes in it.

Want to remove it to get it fixed. Is there a procedure to follow to remove the rad.

Thanks.

Mike

The shroud is in two peices, remove the bottem half (normally has spring clips up each side, this will let you pull the Rad up without removing the fan. Apart from that its only rad hoses, and 4 bolts.

If you have a auto box, pull the cooler hoses from the bottom of the rad, and plug them with something like a pencil to stop the fluid leaking out.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      The shroud is in two peices, remove the bottem half (normally has spring clips up each side, this will let you pull the Rad up without removing the fan. Apart from that its only rad hoses, and 4 bolts.

If you have a auto box, pull the cooler hoses from the bottom of the rad, and plug them with something like a pencil to stop the fluid leaking out.
      Also has a bottom bolt that is almost impossible to remove if you have the underslung aircon rad, you will shred your arms so once out I suggest you don't refit the bottom section - it achieves no purpose anyway.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        Also has a bottom bolt that is almost impossible to remove if you have the underslung aircon rad, you will shred your arms so once out I suggest you don't refit the bottom section - it achieves no purpose anyway.

Cheers
        Mine has the rad in front of the main Rad, didn't have to go though that!
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys.

I started tonight by removing the sump gaurd that covers the underslung rad, Is that for the aircon?

Once I had done this I realised that it gave me little or no advantage unless I drop this under rad, Should I do this as if I dont I cant get to any of the pipes at all.

Will the auto cooling pipes be about one inch in OD and be sort of rubber bound type.

The more I look at this job it gets bigger and bigger.

Thanks again for your knowledge on the mighty Japanese beast anymore would be greatly appreciated.

One other question why cant this type of thing happen in the summer when the !!!!!! nights are lighter and a lot warmer.

Cheers

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSurf
            Thanks guys.

I started tonight by removing the sump gaurd that covers the underslung rad, Is that for the aircon?

Once I had done this I realised that it gave me little or no advantage unless I drop this under rad, Should I do this as if I dont I cant get to any of the pipes at all.

Will the auto cooling pipes be about one inch in OD and be sort of rubber bound type.

The more I look at this job it gets bigger and bigger.

Thanks again for your knowledge on the mighty Japanese beast anymore would be greatly appreciated.

One other question why cant this type of thing happen in the summer when the !!!!!! nights are lighter and a lot warmer.

Cheers

Mike.
            hi undo the retaing bolts on air con rad fitting brackets DO NOT REMOVE AIR CON PIPES you,ll lose all your gas and it,ll cost you about £70 to regass then lower air con rad as far as pipes allow after this you have anough room to remove auto box cooling pipes on bottom of main radiator i know this works been there and done it (hands looked liked i,d had a fight with cheese grater after )
            I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
            (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Thanks for the extra advice.

Made a bit more progress last night.

Now got top hose off and bottom of fan shroud had two bolt one each side.

Now I need to get bottom hose off and the gbox pipes and finally the last retaining bolt for the rad.

Had a closer look at the rad last night whilst having a fag break and the top of the rad is almost all split right along the seam.

Thanks again and I will write this up when Im done so someone else can refere to it later.

Mike B

Comment

Working...
              X