No announcement yet.

Surf won't start - possibly ECU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget the E.C.U and concentrate on actual faults. By the description you gave, he will have done no more than replace some shagged electrolytics and possibly reworked some dry joints. There will having been no alterations to any code or anything in the I.C's. You seem to be suffering a coincidental problem, nothing more.

If the turnover is speeding up as you crank, check the batteries, related connections and starter motor. If those are fine, inspect and test the fuel system from the tank through to the injectors for leaks or restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Who ever told you they could 'tune' the ECU for fuel economy is talking bollox!!
      Thought so.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with you, Matt. It's increasingly likely that I've been unlucky enough to get two problems at once, or at least one that appeared while I was fixing the other. Trouble is, I can't find any actual faults - yet. I do have a big list of things it ISN'T though!

It isn't the glowplug relay, the TPS, the spill control valve - at least the electrical side of it anyway, a fuse, starter motor or flat battery. I can't find any hoses off or loose wires, and I've unplugged, checked and reconnected most plugs I can find.

It's probably due new injectors, but that doesn't really explain why it worked perfectly and then didn't. I did pull off the hose from the filter to check the priming pump was working. It couldn't STILL have air in the injection pump could it?

Comment

why don't you get hold of someone else's ECU , plug it into your steed and see if the problems still there.
          It may save you chasing a wild goose if the problem disappears
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
            It isn't the glowplug relay, the TPS, the spill control valve - at least the electrical side of it anyway, a fuse, starter motor or flat battery.
            How do you know the batteries and starter motor are okay? Working and working correctly can be two completely different things. May be worthwhile doing as BPS suggests and seeing if you can rule out the E.C.U first though. At least you'll know for certain as to what condition your existing one is in if you can try another unit.

Comment

Think I might have sussed it.

After reading this thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...d=1#post595069 I tried (in desperation) getting my mate to pump the primer / lift pump while I cranked. The truck started almost straight away.

While we were trying to diagnose the original ECU snag, we did pump the primer quite vigorously and it looks like it's started leaking internally and allowing the fuel to syphon back to the tank.

I would NEVER have suspected that was the problem. Thanks Matt for pushing me away from my obsession with the ECU, and thanks everyone else for help. I now know a hell of a lot more about the fuel-injection system. Enough to leave well alone in future!

Still, at least I know the rest of the truck is in tip-top condition. I'll even replace the filters and glowplugs and change the oils. Maybe I'll even fix the air-con, which has never worked. I should also clean the bobbin filter in the fuel temp sensor. I saw the picture of one from another post - nasty!

Anyone got a lift pump for sale?

Comment

Now all this free help has to be worth becoming a paid up member surely...
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Still problems

Well, eventually I found a new lift pump, after being sent a knackered one which didn't fit.

No better. The truck is increasingly difficult to start even though it is cranking fine. It just gets faster and faster until eventually it starts. No clouds of unburnt fuel or white smoke, so I don't think it's the glowplugs. I actually don't think there's enough fuel pressure at the injectors.

Next thing to try is the small filter on the injector pump, just in case there's a blockage. Clutching at straws now, but you never know. It would be nice if the weather wasn't crap for an hour or two.

Wierdly, every time I've taken the lift pump off, the truck has been easier to start for a day or two. Maybe there IS some crap in the line which gets dislodged for a while. Seems odd that this all started after the ECU died, but I think it's either a coincidence or we buggered something up whilst trying to diagnose the ECU fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                    Well, eventually I found a new lift pump, after being sent a knackered one which didn't fit.

No better. The truck is increasingly difficult to start even though it is cranking fine. It just gets faster and faster until eventually it starts. No clouds of unburnt fuel or white smoke, so I don't think it's the glowplugs. I actually don't think there's enough fuel pressure at the injectors.

Next thing to try is the small filter on the injector pump, just in case there's a blockage. Clutching at straws now, but you never know. It would be nice if the weather wasn't crap for an hour or two.

Wierdly, every time I've taken the lift pump off, the truck has been easier to start for a day or two. Maybe there IS some crap in the line which gets dislodged for a while. Seems odd that this all started after the ECU died, but I think it's either a coincidence or we buggered something up whilst trying to diagnose the ECU fault.
                    mate get an air line and blow the fuel pipes back to the tank there might be crud in the tank
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Probably not the little filter.

I just removed the filter behind the fuel temp sensor. It was perfectly clean, although the fuel in the pump didn't run out until after I'd removed the filter.

After putting it all back together, it took ages to start the truck, as I expected. Still cranks really fast but not quite enough to stay running when I turn the key off. Runs normally once it actually starts. No clouds of smoke or smell of fuel.

After all this cranking, it's likely the batteries are on their last legs, but I'm reluctant to throw good money after bad.
                      Last edited by Funky; 7 January 2010, 23:52.

Comment

Not the glow plugs either...

Changed glow plugs. Still the same. I'm gradually eliminating things, and running out of options. I'd love to stick a known good ECU on, because I don't have many things left to test! I don't know anyone around here with a Surf, though.
                        Last edited by Funky; 7 January 2010, 23:54.

Comment

Bumping a very old thread. I'm having a similar problem. What was your resolution?

Comment

my 3rd gen recently stalled twice for no apparent reason as it started again with out any problem. The third time it stalled however it wouldn't restart due to there being no diesel at the injectors. After a lot of head scratching the fuel spill valve was knackered and not opening to allow fuel through so a quick purchase from Roughtrax 4x4 and all is now sorted. There was 10.6V to it confirmed by placing a meter on the live supply and then to earth. When the ignition was on it would click as though opening but when turned off there was no click heard. I borrowed one off my mates Surf and mine started with out a problem.
                            Hope this helps others with a similar fault.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but here's hoping somebody reads this who has some suggestions. Long story short, my 3.0 diesel stopped running with no warning. After changing the fuel filter, then blowing out the lines, then the lift pump, followed by a recon ECU, and a new injector pump, I finally got it running. Before all this happened, it started at a turn of the key. Now, I have to crank it for several turns, it fires up, cloud of smoke, runs rough for a couple of minutes, then all is good, and away it goes. It is actually running better than it used to once it is going, great power, and no smoke, but starting it is a bitch. And I'm concerned about batteries if this keeps up, especially in the colder weather.

Any suggestions what could be wrong would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X