safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safe?

is it safe to rev the eng in N on a auto box then drop it into D keeping the revs high? (*is missing having a clutch*)

I don't know, but I do find the lack of clutch a pain when trying to get a quick pull away at junctions. You have to wait for the gearbox to catch up before it pulls away, which means I wait for much bigger gaps tham I used to.
    A technique I use if I need to get going quickly is to hold the brake with my left foot, and apply slight pressure with my right until I feel the clutch bitting, this way there is no lag in pull away. I do not do this often as I beleive it wears out the parts prematurly, and there will now probably be loads of mechanically minded people screaming at their screens. But I've always said you can get anything to go fast if you don't know two words "mechanical sympathy".
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
      is it safe to rev the eng in N on a auto box then drop it into D keeping the revs high? (*is missing having a clutch*)
      Safe for you, not for the gearbox.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

hmm thought of that but dont want to mess up the breaks...

i know the N > D thing works cause i tried it on the beach the other day (*cough* allong with a few other stupid things) but i am just worried about the gearbox / transmision

mechanical sympathy think i heard of that... its supposed to be hitting speed ramps at less than 30mph isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
          A technique I use if I need to get going quickly is to hold the brake with my left foot, and apply slight pressure with my right until I feel the clutch bitting, this way there is no lag in pull away. I do not do this often as I beleive it wears out the parts prematurly, and there will now probably be loads of mechanically minded people screaming at their screens. But I've always said you can get anything to go fast if you don't know two words "mechanical sympathy".
          This is slightly less damaging short term, as the torque converted and drive train are 'loaded up' against the brakes, so there is no slack to take up, but it'll probably fry your ATF quickly.

Just dropping it into D at revs will put tremendous strain on all the drive train components.

But its your truck, drive it how you want!

Comment

What do you mean mess up the brakes??
            The front wheel s are supposed to be black arn't they?

(I know for the next service I'll need new pads, and shoes, Tony expect a holler about the time. Oh I still can't get my grease gun on the nipples I don't know how you did it.)
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

you mean the bump stops? i put the grease onto my fingers and looked were the 2 peices were then reached round couldnt see what i was doing on the back ones but i could feel my way to the plates and nut, the front ones were easy just got under the front without jacking it up at all,

oh and i used to overheat the breaks on my volvo 440 lol

Comment

you mean the bump stops? i put the grease onto my fingers and looked were the 2 peices were then reached round couldnt see what i was doing on the back ones but i could feel my way to the plates and nut, the front ones were easy just got under the front without jacking it up at all,

oh and i used to overheat the breaks on my volvo 440 lol
                nah, he's talking about greasing the UJ's.

Comment

Or in my case, rolling round under the vehicle swearing at the grease gun.
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I couldn't understand all the debate on different sized grease nipples until the last service. I have two grease guns and I didn't realise that they were for different size nips until I used them in reverse order. How spooky is that?
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Even if you do try this mad stunt you won't get the same effect as with a manual because of the fluid connection in the torque convertor - basically its like stirring a cup of tea.

What you will do is transmit quite suddenly all of the rotational kinetic energy of the gearbox cluster (which is a lot more than the equivalent manual gear train due to the heavier epicyclic construction) and the torque convertor (body of which is made of tin but which is also full of ATF oil), to the drive train. Its possible that this might be enough to give some additional impetus,but if you are turning out left or right, its quite possible to spin the inside wheel normally anyway - so what would you have gained?

Actually, the torque convertor gives a pretty smart pull away - (its actually a torque multplier). You can improve matters by holding the vehicle on the brake with moderate revs for a second or so before pulling away to shorten the timetaken for the engine to reach torque convertor stall revs (3000 rpm), but any more than a few seconds and all the energy is going to find its way into your ATF fluid again and heat it up p.d.q., which will tend to degrade it.

As for damage if you slam it into D with revs at a standstill - hard to say - the clutch bands willobviously have to absorb more energy and this again will cause excess heating - burnishing of the brake bands etc so you will get cointamination of the fluid which will lead to increasingly slow and lumpy gearchanges - that's if the gearbox itself doesnt explode beforehand.

No doubt you'll also be informing the lucky next owner of the vehicle of your novel approach to beating traffic congestion

Cheers

Kev
                      Last edited by exmee46; 25 March 2005, 16:21.

Comment

or you could flog it and buy the fiesta featured elswhere on here...
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

nah not a feista... tho there is a nice renault clio round here for sale for £1500 i was considering getting as a 2nd car...er.. 3rd car lol

Comment

I have blown a autobox on a 3.0 V6 Transit once by dropping the box in drive at high revs from neutral whilst trying to burn off quick . Motor made hell off a bang and lept about a bit , wipers went on and ashtray flew out . Did not get very far , but a limp back to workshop in reverse gear , the only gear left in the box .

Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Linda's 3.0 is an auto, and pulls away quick enough. I know this cos a 4.0l Cherokee tried to play at the lights the other day. I know he was manual cos I could hear him screaming though the gears, ( through the back window of the Surf in the distance )

Not usually a fan of all the traffic light macho bull, but with homo 20" chrome wheels, and stupid loud radio he had it coming.

Sometimes I wonder how fast some people think a 2 ton 4x4 should be, all you will do break parts, buy a Hemi 'Cuda for speed, buy a 4x4 to go offroad or tow trailers.

Comment

Working...
                              X