No announcement yet.

Safe to buy a head that hasn't blown..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to buy a head that hasn't blown..?

I've found what appears to be a promising truck at a great price, but it hasn't had the new head on it.

However, it's eben running for a year or so now on UK soil. Is it safe to assume that if it hasn't already gone by now, then it isn't likely to at all?

Just wondering because it seems that if a head is going to go, it will go pretty much immediately after getting to the UK and being subjected to motorway driving etc.

Any thoughts appreciated

thanks

-keith
    The right to bear arms...only slightly more ridicu

Originally posted by Chiko
    I've found what appears to be a promising truck at a great price, but it hasn't had the new head on it.

However, it's eben running for a year or so now on UK soil. Is it safe to assume that if it hasn't already gone by now, then it isn't likely to at all?

Just wondering because it seems that if a head is going to go, it will go pretty much immediately after getting to the UK and being subjected to motorway driving etc.

Any thoughts appreciated

thanks

-keith

i've had mine now for 18 months and am the 1st owner over here and nothing gone wrong yet.the way i see it if the head does go then i will get it repaired and carry on enjoying the surf
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      i've had mine now for 18 months and am the 1st owner over here and nothing gone wrong yet.the way i see it if the head does go then i will get it repaired and carry on enjoying the surf
      thats kind of the scenario I'm looking at...with your head having been fine for 18 months, surely it shoudl be safe to assume that it isn't one of the weak heads, and thus will probably never need replacing?

Comment

Its never safe to assume, my head went one week short of a year of owning it, its hard to say really.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

They don't all go..... its just they are the ones you hear about. If you are getting the truck for a good price then put some pennies away just in case of a rainy day and enjoy your surf........

Comment

There is an inherent design fault in the head, if it overheats it will almost certainly crack the head. That could be 1 week, 1 year, or 5 years.... the fault doesnt go away just because it's been here for a while...

I suspect a lot of fresh imports, and some bought from previous UK owners, go quickly because the head has already cracked, and a bottle of radseal popped in to hide the problem to shift the car...

If you have no receipt for a new modified head, and you still want it, get it cheap, get a warranty for the head for as long as possible, and set aside the money to pay for it if it does go... then enjoy.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys!

If it's soemthing that could go at any time, then I'm going to continue to look for one that has had the new head on it.

I'm buying a surf so i can take my other car off the road and rebuild it...I can do without having two engines to rebuild...and I can't afford to have no transport because of the commute to work!

*edit*
              The other option I suppose would be to find a sensibly priced one without a new head, and also go and buy a new head for it. Then replace it myself and not ever have to worry about it...
              Last edited by Chiko; 12 September 2005, 11:27.

Comment

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html for an idea of price

Or Mr A Grinder if nearer ..... http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/homepage.html
                Last edited by DaveD; 12 September 2005, 11:58.

Comment

Nobodies mentioned engine sizes.
                  It's only some 2.4s with dodgy heads, the 3L are fine.

Rather than looking for a 2.4 with a new head you could just buy a 3L.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_88

Not allways mine wasn't Tiz now tho!!!!!!!!
                    Tony

(back from hols)
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

there,s a list of chassis no. of the vehicles with the dodgy head, but it,s not conclusive as people (Koi?) have had heads go and thier surf wasn,t listed, and also you may find a surf on this list that was recalled and fitted with the new head in Japan, so it,s a bit of a lottery unless you buy one with proof of fitting of the new design head. I,ve had mine nearly 27mth now and it was in the country a yr before that so i,m assuming it,s ok but still keep my eye on the temp. gauge especially when towing.

ship

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_88

I would be going for a 3.0 but I can't get one for my c.3k price range, whereas 2.4's with new heads do seem to crop up for that sort of money.

The other prob I've found with the 3.0 is that they seem to be more difficult to find insurance for?

Comment

Originally posted by ship
                          but still keep my eye on the temp. gauge especially when towing.
                          Thats the other qu I wanted to ask actually....will the head actually only self destruct if it overheats, or does it overheat BECAUSE it has self destructed?

What I mean is...if coolant is regularly checked, and if temp starts to creep the vehicle is pulled over, would that mean that even a faulty-design head would continue to survive, or will it just randomly die at some point without any warning

Comment

Originally posted by Chiko

Any thoughts appreciated

thanks

-keith
                            my 2.4 is promising too wanna buy it? its got the origonal head which is good
                            Enjoying Life after Cancer
                            Pops

Comment

got my 2.4 in may and allthough i`ve done everything i can to help prevent a major head catostrephe{ spelt wrong i think} i.e timing belt,service,timing belt,coolant change etc etc, she has been nothing but a little sweetie and that includes a journey down to the south of spain for my emigration,fully loaded and not sparing the gee gee`s. however if she decides to blow up now i think i`ll be a little bit buggered here in spain but i`m trusting her to be a good girl and look after me as much as i look after her, bless her.{but if she blows then the cow can get stuffed}
                              Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X