Should I carry on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I carry on?

I was going to sell my surf a few months ago as I intended to get a 3rd gen, but after a couple of days of the for sale adds going live, My surf started blowing out puffs of white smoke on start up. I had a potential buyer coming to look at my surf, but I pulled it off the market as I could not sell with a suspect head. I drove her round for the last couple of months on short journeys but she started to fill the expansion bottle last week, so I took the head off and there are about 4 different cracks in the head.
    The question I would appreciate answering is if it is worth putting a new head on this block with number 3 bore like this?
    It has obviously been leaking a lot longer than I realised, and I am not sure whether to proceed with a rebuild.
    Any advice appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Charlie Bunder has an engine for sale.

Henley on Thames area

Karma Supra

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, do you think it's beyond saving?

Comment

wet down a piece of fine grade emery cloth with WD40 and clean the bore up,stick a piece of wet and dry to a small piece of glass and use this to clean the top face of the block up. I've seen a lot worse and never had any problems, get yourself a new head and gasket kit. Bolt it on and bobs your uncle.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks for your advice Surfenstein. I will get a new head and clean it up.
          I am going to fix some leaks whilst it is stripped down. I think the oil feed on the turbo is leaking, so that is also coming out.
          Love the truck you are working on at the moment, great work there
          And a thanks to all the contributions on this site. I searched and read up on how to get the head off from the write ups on here. Hopefully it will go back together

Comment

Got around to working on my surf again this week. Had lots going on and family holiday's etc. here is a pic of the head that came off. It does not show up in the pic but it is also cracked between the valves too. It does not look like an original head, I suspect the chap I bought it off a few years ago had it repaired with a cheap head as it had a new rad.
            Anyway, I am going to buy the AMC head from roughtrax but have read on here a lot of recommendations to get Toyota gasket sets. I have been searching for Toyota part no's but not having much luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
            Thanks
            Dave

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I just bought my gasket set from roughtrax, was about a year ago now and no issues at all since it went back together

Comment

If damage is above piston rings then it should be ok. Have sent you a PM regarding part numbers.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev, much appreciated.

Hi Rebel, I read on here recently that Roughtrax had changed brands, they are supplying Eristic gaskets, Anyone used them?
                  Thanks
                  Dave

Comment

Oh, I didn't read that post, wasn't aware they'd changed brands

Comment

Just an update on researching the gasket set.
                      I checked how much the pistons protrude above the block, which determines the thickness of gasket required. Mine rise between .005" - .0065" which equates to 0.13mm - 0.17mm. According to the manual a three hole gasket is required for this figure. Roughtrax only list the 5 hole gasket which is for piston protrusion of 0.23mm-0.33mm. If I were to fit this one would it affect combustion and running?
                      Milners list the 3 hole gasket so I will probably go for that one. A 3 hole gasket came off the truck.
                      Toyota quoted £127.00 for just the head gasket

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Here we go! Just got a great deal on a AMC Built up head, gasket set and AMC head Bolts.
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        and whilst I am at it, the fan will get a refill.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

And the injectors sent off for a test and clean.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

The exhaust manifold was out of true (bent) by 0.6mm so I gave it a skim to get it back to flat.
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

some good work going on
                            Last edited by jonny ramrod; 18 September 2015, 17:04.

Comment

Thanks Jonny. I am enjoying myself doing this. The wife is not impressed with the spend though, but I hope it is all worth it. I have just picked up a new cam belt from my local Toyota dealership in Sandhurst which has been really handy for some gaskets. Hopefully this weekend I can get the head back on.

Comment

Working...
                              X