Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 LN130 surf 2.4 diesel 2L-TE - Fuel System Problem

Hi

I'm a new surf owner ( about 3 months ) and i'm having a bit of a problem with it at the moment. It lost power and cut out on me 3 times on a short journey - 3 miles. To get it restarted I popped the bonnet and pumped the fuel primer pump on top of the filter. Motor started after cranking approx 20 times then same happened again and again. Changed the fuel filter. still the same. fuel getting to the injectors and it ticks over with a bit of a rumble but a bit smoky and as soon as you try to drive ok for first 10 metres then dies. Bypassed the filter - still the same.

With this being the 2L - TE engine is there a feed pump in the tank? I have a 4runner manual " Max Ellery's hilux/4runner 1979-1997 LN - Diesel engine models " and it refers to a pump in the tank for efi models but shows no diagrams or info on it. Am I correct in thinking this?

It seems like the engine is being starved of fuel. I'v bled the system several times but I'm not convinced the lines are being filled with diesel as the primer pump on the filter never really feels like the system is full.

If anyone can shed any light on this topic it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

It sounds as if the primer is knackered.When were the filters last done and oil
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Filters and oil were done about 3000 miles ago

I thought the primer might be knackered as when you get the engine started it pulls down against the filter head like it is drawing in air .I bypassed the filter head and tried to bleed the system further downstream while cranking the engine over but still the same. It does start and tick over but won't run even on the flat.

Is there a feed pump in the tank? Is it worth taking the tank out and cleaning it ? was wandering if there is a strainer in the tank which might be blocked

cheers

Comment

theres no pump in the tank.When you take the fuel cap off do you get a hissing sound.If so then either drill a tiny hole in the filler cap or put an airline onto the fuel pipe and blow it back to the tank.There is a small filter on the top of the tank that may of got blocked aswell.Its like a petrol inline filter type thing
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Ok getting somewhere now

Gravity fed the fuel pump with diesel from a container and starts no problem sounds sweet on tick over no smoke when revving and no rumble

Took the tank out, found pieces of rubber hose inside strainer so removed the debris blew through all fuel lines put the tank back in chucked some diesel in pulled the diesel through from the tank with the primer pump, bled the filter and she started after about 6 or 7 cranks Went for a drive no problem to start with then check light came on and lost power - still driving but a bit gutless. Bled the filter again , was going good then check light came on again and lost power, when i take my foot of the accelerator the check light dissapears but the engine is still sluggish.

Can the filterhead cause an issue like this ? I'v bled the system several times and it seems ok

cheers

Comment

Check for fault codes.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729

If you get a 12 then it might be the timing belt.

Nev

Comment

Working...
            X