Turbo problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo problems?

Whilst all you knowledgable sober lot are on here, i'll try and explain the latest with my recent problems and see if anyone can come up with any suggestions.

I broke down with a nasty rattle, overheating, and a fair amount (not tons but enough to worry about) of black smoke, about 3 weeks ago on the way back from an offroad session.

I also lost nearly all braking, I have since had new flexi hoses, 2 new wheel cylinders and new rear drums & shoes, and the braking is better but still not great. I only mention this as i'm wondering if i may be suffering vacuum problems, as 4wd has been noticably slower to engage/disengage on the last few trips, the brake servo i think is vacuum operated, as is the ADD, and now whatever this is, and i'm wondering if they could all be related.

Anyway, got recovered back home and washed everything down. Radiator didn't look too clogged, but i guess if i was experiencing other problems aswell the rad being partially clogged could have exagerated any effect on engine temp.

Played around on the drive, and although the rattle was still there it wasn't as loud, and i couldn't identifty it for certain under the bonnet. But i started to get a regular and definate click, which i am led to believe may point to a shot injector. I got this on two consecutive days but not really had it again since.

The way it stands now is this - she runs absolutely fine (if not better than she has since i've had her) from cold for around 10 minutes or thereabouts, once the engine warms up though, i lose all turbo boost accompanied by a very loud and rather embarassing whine at revs where the turbo would normally be starting to kick in. The turbo light does not come on either. And as you'd expect with no turbo there's a severe lack of power above say 2500 RPM.

Now here's the interesting bit, if i stop, switch the ignition off, and restart the engine she's fine again for another say 5 minutes, i can do this at least a couple of times to get an extra few minutes of normal performance. But the amount of time she runs well reduces to no more than a couple of minutes after a few times of switching off and on again.

Any of the learned among you like to cast any aspersions?

Cheers
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

is the noise coming from the turbo?

Comment

sorry, yes, the whine does sound as though it is coming from the turbo.

I tried to take a video so people could hear/see what it was doing rather than try and understand my explanation, but my phone didn't save it.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

have you taken the inlet hose off and checked it inside? but to me sounds like a vac problem. but what with the whin from the turbo makes me wonder if it's more mechanical than electrical. can you here the turbo spool up or is there just no power at all?

Comment

nothing, can't work the whine out, was going to try and see what the vac pipes are doing today but never got round to it.

I'm coming round to the idea that either) the whine is a by product of vac problems, or) the turbo's on it's way out and the whine is unrelated but there's two separate sets of problems?

If the wastegate was sticking open, is this controlled by the vac system? would it case a complete lack of boost? Could it cause the whine i'm experiening as a by product?
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
            nothing, can't work the whine out, was going to try and see what the vac pipes are doing today but never got round to it.

I'm coming round to the idea that either) the whine is a by product of vac problems, or) the turbo's on it's way out and the whine is unrelated but there's two separate sets of problems?

If the wastegate was sticking open, is this controlled by the vac system? would it case a complete lack of boost? Could it cause the whine i'm experiening as a by product?
            if the wastegate was stuck open it would over boost, thus blowing your turbo and possibly more.as far as the turbo on it's way out i think they just go, rather than slow break

Comment

ok that blows that theory out the window then

i took the intake apart and it was oily in there, but not too bad, don't think it was any worse than when i did the glowplugs last winter, so i guess that's just oil from the crankcase breather. Looking into the turbo from the intake pipes there was nothing obviously out of place, the shaft moved up and down mabe a mm or so, no noticable movement back and forward. It's the first time i've looked inside a turbo though so i may not have noticed, and obviously just looking into it in situ probably wouldn't be that productive anyway.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

sounds to me that the problem is related to the turbo ,but not acctuly the turbo. do you get the engine management come on once it starts playing up. but to me some of the symptoms sound more like vac problems and electrical

Comment

nope, no engine check light.

It's the turning the ignition off then back on again cures it for a few minutes bit is confusing the hell outta me, why??
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

by the sounds of it, it is electrical as when you turn the power of the fault resets it's self thus allowing you to carry on for a while. could be a sensor of some sort

Comment

but wouldn't most engine related electrical problems show up the engine check light, and therefore log a fault code?
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                        Wastegate open would mean no boost. Wastegate operation is pressure controlled not vacuum. More turbo wine is possible I suppose as the turbo would have less resistance therefore just be spooling more with no actual boost pressure. Have you done a diagnostic check?

Nev

Comment

Turbo Waste Gate

I may be totaly wrong as to how the surf turbo system works but normaly a turbo waste gate opens to route the exhaust gasses past the turbo and keep the boost pressure down not increase it and blow it and other things as was mentioned earlier.
                          If the waste gate was siezed closed then the boost would go higher than the design pressure but I do not think it would reach such a high pressure as to blow up the turbo unit. but it would possibly make the vehicle perform better provided there was an equal increase in the fuel added to the mixture going in to the engine.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                            More turbo wine is possible I suppose as the turbo would have less resistance therefore just be spooling more with no actual boost pressure.
                            Sorry got that the wrong way around. There would be less spooling because the gasses would by bypassing the turbo impeller.

Nev

Comment

I'll try pulling the fault codes later, but i would have thought the engine check light would have come on if a fault code was logged.
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Working...
                              X