X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent overdrive selection problems

KZN185W-GAPXT 1996
    hi all, newbie here.

Above vehicle misbehaves when in top, cruising, sometimes, under light load. For instance reached say 55 MPH then 'flutters' between overdrive and top every one or 2 seconds, with the rev counter reflecting this by +-800revs. throttle position kept absolutely steady, no changes in incline - even does it on the flat (not downhill tho)
    Have adjusted kickdown cable, no difference (which is as expected as no-where near kickdown)
    Does not do this in any other gear, or under moderate acceleration.
    Auto fluid red and fresh.
    Any Ideas gratefully received. PS have read the manuals thread, does the Toyota engine manual cover the gearbox too?

Tony

[QUOTE=tony.goodwin]KZN185W-GAPXT 1996
    hi all,

have the same problem if you find out the problem and the cure please let me know cheers

Comment

Asumming that as you say the fluid is fresh and red, that the level is correct too.

Presumably this doesn't happen with O/D off (ie light on dash lit up)?

Does it matter or make any difference if ECT is switched on?

Comment

My 2.4 does this too at certain revs, especially when towing or carring heavy loads, but only within a certain rev range. Easing off or applying extra application of the loud pedal stops it happening.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by tony.goodwin
          KZN185W-GAPXT 1996
          hi all, newbie here.

Above vehicle misbehaves when in top, cruising, sometimes, under light load. For instance reached say 55 MPH then 'flutters' between overdrive and top every one or 2 seconds, with the rev counter reflecting this by +-800revs. throttle position kept absolutely steady, no changes in incline - even does it on the flat (not downhill tho)
          Have adjusted kickdown cable, no difference (which is as expected as no-where near kickdown)
          Does not do this in any other gear, or under moderate acceleration.
          Auto fluid red and fresh.
          Any Ideas gratefully received. PS have read the manuals thread, does the Toyota engine manual cover the gearbox too?

Tony
          mine does the same between 55-60 mph keeps going in and out of overdrive but keep it over 60 and it,s fine
          I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
            mine does the same between 55-60 mph keeps going in and out of overdrive but keep it over 60 and it,s fine
            What you are describing sounds like the torque convertor lock up, this happens at about 55mph.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              What you are describing sounds like the torque convertor lock up, this happens at about 55mph.
              I'd agree with that, took me ages to get used to it - dont think it's in/out of overdrive, try easing the throttle a tad when the revs drop
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              X