Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HG problems first time buyer

hey everyone
    i have finally saved up the money and i am finally looking for a surf that i can buy. I have done some research on this site, and have found half the threads in this forum are riddled with talk of HG problems with mainly 2.4 surfs, as well as 3.0 surfs, and it scared me to bits. The reason of this thread is to ask, when i do eventually buy a surf, are there things i can tune up or buy under the hood to prevent these hg problems, or is it inevitable? Also, when i find a surf i want to buy, im going to do an RAC check, so hopefully that will pick out problems. But yeah mainly the point of this thread it to ask for anything i can do (buying or tuning up, whatever it takes) to prevent hg problems!! thanks for help all

I know nuffin about tuning BUT just remember that people usually only post when they've got problems .......

No head problems with mine at all (it did overheat under load for a while but that stopped when I washed half of Salisbury Plain out of the rad !)

If you treat her right she'll be fine - having said that I'd advise you to go for a 3.0 !

Good luck

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

It's generally the head and not just the gasket that tends to go. The 3L's are, at
      the moment, less prone than the 2.4L's. However, servicing the cooling system
      completely when you get it can largely reduce the possibility of it going. Flush the
      system, replace all the coolant with fresh coolant and replace thermostat and rad
      cap.

Comment

It's the cylinder heads that crack more than the gaskets, but saying that, they're not all likely to go, it's just that those that do are the ones you read about.
        When you get one, 2.4 or 3.0 is thoroughly flush the whole cooling system, engine and rad, replace with new coolant and anti-freeze, new rad cap and thermostat, and check around the top of the radiator for signs of pin holes or spilts. I fitted bonnet vents as well as doing all of the above and the trucks been fine. Regular maintenance, or preventative manitenance is what's called for regarding these vehicles, keep that in mind and you'll be a happy trucker!!

Comment

ECHO!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            ECHO!
            Your slipping Vince. Out-typed by TWO people.

Comment

I was reading another members problems, I can't be in three places at the same time!!

Comment

I was reading another members problems, I can't be in three places at the same time!!

Comment

Getting slow in your old age ?

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Agony aunts are always in high demand Vince Chubmiester! are you on the Aus surf website http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/ Ian
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

nah, they don't need me on there, buch of know-it-alls.

Comment

thanks for all ur help guys, all i need 2 find now is a hilux surf thats $$$$$$ manual..... whats better for four-wheel driving? better to be manual or auto or no difference really? personally i prefer driving manual auto is boring as hell

Comment

Working...
                        X