Auto box oil change sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto box oil change sequence

I want to change all the oil in my auto box and clean the filter.
    I know I drop the gearbox sump to get to the filter and change the oil in the sump, I can change the oil in the Torque converter by disconecting the pipes from the radiator, cranking the engine and using 2 buckets, no problem.
    What I cant work out is what order to do it?
    If I drop the sump clean the filter, re-fit the sump, re-fill, then do the radiator bit, will I then pump out the new oil in the sump as well when I change the oil in the Torque converter?
    Is there a correct order?
    Thanks

Has nobody ever done a full Autobox oil change then?
    All you guys must be able to afford to have somebody else to do your work for you...I must win the lottery!

Comment

yep we're all rich have to be to fill up these beasts with diesel
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

It isn't really a filter inside the transmission sump, more of a gauze strainer.
        It can be washed with thinners, dryed with an air line and re-fitted.
        I wouldn't bother unless your truck has done more than 100,000 miles.
        You'll need to unbolt the front propshaft and maybe shift the exhaust out of the way to drop the sump pan, (I think, can't remember off hand) before that you'll need to seperate the sump from the transmission by running a knife blade around the perimeter to brake the gasket seal, maybe a tapping weapon will be needed to as it'll have been on there for at least 14 years, and it's a bastid to get off. Try not to gouge the mating surfaces as you do this though!
        Then you'll need to clean the old gasket stuff off which will be stuck to both surfaces like sh*t to a blanket, then wipe out and make the inside of the pan absolutely spotless before running a bead of RTV sealant around the edge and then offering it back up to the trans. without touching/disturbing the sealant.

If you still want to do all this, allow yourself at least a day from start to finish.

Alternatively, you could just pull off the trans. cooler hose off the passenger side of the rad, dangle it into a two litre lemonade bottle, start the engine and allow to idle untill you fill the bottle.
        Switch off and re-fill using a funnel via the trans. dipstick tube, replacing the same amount of fluid that you emptied into the lemonade bottle.
        Repeat untill new fluid comes out into the bottle. The torque converter fluid will be refresh as well doing it this way. Good luck.
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 6 April 2008, 16:19.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          It isn't really a filter inside the transmission sump, more of a gauze strainer.
          It can be washed with thinners, dryed with an air line and re-fitted.
          I wouldn't bother unless your truck has done more than 100,000 miles.
          You'll need to unbolt the front propshaft and maybe shift the exhaust out of the way to drop the sump pan, (I think, can't remember off hand) before that you'll need to seperate the sump from the transmission by running a knife blade around the perimeter to brake the gasket seal, maybe a tapping weapon will be needed to as it'll have been on there for at least 14 years, and it's a bastid to get off. Try not to gouge the mating surfaces as you do this though!
          Then you'll need to clean the old gasket stuff off which will be stuck to both surfaces like sh*t to a blanket, then wipe out and make the inside of the pan absolutely spotless before running a bead of RTV sealant around the edge and then offering it back up to the trans. without touching/disturbing the sealant.

If you still want to do all this, allow yourself at least a day from start to finish.

Alternatively, you could just pull off the trans. cooler hose off the passenger side of the rad, dangle it into a two litre lemonade bottle, start the engine and allow to idle untill you fill the bottle.
          Switch off and re-fill using a funnel via the trans. dipstick tube, replacing the same amount of fluid that you emptied into the lemonade bottle.
          Repeat untill new fluid comes out into the bottle. The torque converter fluid will be refresh as well doing it this way. Good luck.
          Well Said Vince
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thanks Guys
            As I have only 60.000 miles on the clock, I will do the change from the radiator end.

Comment

Most people don't bother, you only really need to get that involved if you have an issue with the box. Drain & refill normally a coupe of times within a few weeks of each other and you'll have mostly clean oil in there.

Originally posted by walkabout View Post
              Has nobody ever done a full Autobox oil change then?
              All you guys must be able to afford to have somebody else to do your work for you...I must win the lottery!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                Most people don't bother, you only really need to get that involved if you have an issue with the box. Drain & refill normally a coupe of times within a few weeks of each other and you'll have mostly clean oil in there.

Got rid of the wheel wobble tony, had the wheels balanced and tracking done the steering is spot on now thanks mate
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

where did you get you tracking and balancing done colin ??
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                    Got rid of the wheel wobble tony, had the wheels balanced and tracking done the steering is spot on now thanks mate
                    Good-o.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X