Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Lifting Increase Road Noise

Hi

been chasing a nasty rumbling noise from the front end for 6 months now. The dealer wasnt able/willing to help so have been working on my own with the help of a local repairer and lately 4x4 Toys in Baisingstoke.

We have now changed both front bearings and also tried running with both front drive shafts removed, i.e. the front diff was no longer turning. Whatever we do the sodding noise is still there, (the noise did disappear during a 30mph rolling test on a chassis lift, but of course there was no weight on the bearings and suspension)

The truck has been lifted, a fact that seemed to escape my dealer as he sold it with adjustable rear suspension which of course has been removed. The lift is 3" at the back and 1" at the front, tony tells me the coil springs at the front have been changed and may be harder.

Heres the big question, would harder replacement springs at the front transmit normal bearing rumble into the chassis more than the toyota originals , .. does anyone out there who has a similarly lifted surf suffer similar noise?

Also is there any way of soft mounting the coil springs ie rubber seats etc that might cure my problem.

The noise is a rumbling almost howling noise that is worst at about 35mph (louder than engine) but is present from 20mph to top speed. It is unaffected by cornering but does get quieter for brief moments if the car is on an uneven road (when the car crests the bumps and the weight on the running gear is reduced for that moment).

Again, we have tried running with all front drive disconnected, Ive tried over and under inflating the tyres and the rear drive train has been checked by Tony, just the usual slop in the rear diff, a little also in the rear prop UJ. noise remains the same if coasting in neutral or if in 4x4 drive etc.

Best Regards

Mike

P.S. I thouroghly recommend Tony at 4x4 Toys for Surf repairs, wish I had come across 4x4 toys before I paid to have the first bearing changed in London!
    Last edited by Steadi; 19 May 2005, 00:03.

Just guessing here 'cos I know nothing about 3rd gen. Surfs, but what about propshaft bearing?

Comment

Noise

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Just guessing here 'cos I know nothing about 3rd gen. Surfs, but what about propshaft bearing?
      Hi Bushwacker

Thanks for quick reply, so quick I was still checking my duff spelling!

I think Tony looked at that, not sure if its the same kind of sound either. Weve been a bit blinkered as the rumble sounds as though its under the driver side front suspension. This is why we started with that bearing and then moved on to the passenger side assuming the noise may have been travelling down the steering gear.

It could of course be sounding through the entire drivetrain from the back end but rear passengers all hear the rumble at the front and not at the back!

All we can think of is that its normal bearing rumble somehow made to sound much worse by the lifted suspension. We will also try changing tyres (bridgestone AT's) but my dealer had a second surf with these tyres and it diddnt make my noise when driven.

Regards

Mike

Comment

Is there an inner and outer bearing on each front wheel, and did you change the inner bearings, or just the outers?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Is there an inner and outer bearing on each front wheel, and did you change the inner bearings, or just the outers?
          Its just one big bearing on 3rd gens.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Steadi
            Hi

Heres the big question, would harder replacement springs at the front transmit normal bearing rumble into the chassis more than the toyota originals , .. does anyone out there who has a similarly lifted surf suffer similar noise?

Also is there any way of soft mounting the coil springs ie rubber seats etc that might cure my problem.
            On the second gen Surf the springs have rubber mounts top & bottom. Are there any present on yours?

Nevillef

Comment

Noise

Just had a look, theres a rubber collar at the top of the spring but nothing on the bottom end.....

Anyone out there with a standard gen 3 who can have a quick look!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Steadi
                Just had a look, theres a rubber collar at the top of the spring but nothing on the bottom end.....

Anyone out there with a standard gen 3 who can have a quick look!

Mike
                Sorry mike, Rob's 3rd gen was the same, no rubber bush on bottem of spring.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Sorry mike, Rob's 3rd gen was the same, no rubber bush on bottem of spring.
                  same here...
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I have a rumbly noise on my 2nd gen. I'm guessing its coming from the transfer box rear bearing as there is oil weeping from there (where the flange that the rear diff connects to). The noise was there before the oil started coming out. UJs are fine, wheel bearings OK, rear diff has a little slack. It sounds like a squadron of Lancasters droning but ceases when cresting humps. I may be way off but it may be worth checking.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

try swapping the struts over side to side and see if the noise goes with it?...

ball joint bushes?

could be anything!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

is it the cv's being noisy?... try a diff drop and see if that works better?(just bodge some spacers up as a test and if it's cured, do the real thing)
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                          is it the cv's being noisy?... try a diff drop and see if that works better?(just bodge some spacers up as a test and if it's cured, do the real thing)
                          We've run it without front drive shafts, it still does it. Its definatly nothing to with the front diff/CV's/drive shafts/hub bushes/etc, or wheel bearings.

Comment

I still have my original front springs if you want to try it with them. Not sure what it would prove though, mines got +2" springs on at the moment with no probs (so far).
                            Is this the same problem that I offered another set of 3rd gen alloys for testing? Do you still want to try them?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

Is this the same problem that I offered another set of 3rd gen alloys for testing? Do you still want to try them?
                              Yes, and Yes!

Comment

Working...
                              X