Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak and torque settings

Hi List,

I have a very small (so far) oil leak. I noticed it a few days after the truck had been parked overnight on a brick drive. Just a couple of spots. I've been checking the oil level daily and watching th preasure guage like a hawk but all seems ok.
    I've had a look under the hood and it looks like it's coming from either behind/around the oil filter, or perhaps the rocker cover gasket.
    Theres a rubber tube thats leaves the rear side of the rocker cover (opposite side to the oil filter) that disapears down into the engine and connectes to a silver 'thing' (thats technical for don't know) that also has the large air pipe connected to to it.
    Where this rubber hose connects to the rocker cover, and there are two philips screws securing it, theres a fair amount of oil around here, most of it looks fairly fresh.

So, I thought the first thing to try would be check and tighten the rocker cover bolts. However, how tight ?
    There are 10mm bolts with a '6' stamped on them.

Does anybody know the torque settings for these bolts.
    I don't want to make a bad situation worse...

Thanks,
    Joe.

Originally posted by kcsl
    Hi List,

I have a very small (so far) oil leak. I noticed it a few days after the truck had been parked overnight on a brick drive. Just a couple of spots. I've been checking the oil level daily and watching th preasure guage like a hawk but all seems ok.
    I've had a look under the hood and it looks like it's coming from either behind/around the oil filter, or perhaps the rocker cover gasket.
    Theres a rubber tube thats leaves the rear side of the rocker cover (opposite side to the oil filter) that disapears down into the engine and connectes to a silver 'thing' (thats technical for don't know) that also has the large air pipe connected to to it.
    Where this rubber hose connects to the rocker cover, and there are two philips screws securing it, theres a fair amount of oil around here, most of it looks fairly fresh.

So, I thought the first thing to try would be check and tighten the rocker cover bolts. However, how tight ?
    There are 10mm bolts with a '6' stamped on them.

Does anybody know the torque settings for these bolts.
    I don't want to make a bad situation worse...

Thanks,
    Joe.
    Can't find anything in the manual specifically for rocker cover bolts, however it does list specified torque for standard bolts as follows:

6T 10mm = 30 N-m....400 kgf-cm....29 ft-lbf for Hexagon head bolt

6T 10mm = 44 N-m....440 kgf-cm....32 ft-lbs for Hexagon flange bolt
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks for the info...

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Was worried about stripping off the threads...

Thanks,
      Joe.

Comment

oil leaks and breathers

Hi guys/girls. Firs time on the site as a newbie surfer! Recently purchased a 1993 3.0 td ssrx and noticed that oil has collected on the chassis directly under what looks like a breather from near the oil filter housing. Is it normal for oil to pass down this pipe or is there an imminent problem? Engine sounds quite sweet with supposedly only 88k kilometres on clock. Don't know if oil pressure is ok cos don't know what the gauge should be reading at normal running temp! Surf seems to pull and drive ok but could someone help me out over these oil issues! Paranoid novice surfer !!

Comment

Originally posted by nudgebar
          Hi guys/girls. Firs time on the site as a newbie surfer! Recently purchased a 1993 3.0 td ssrx and noticed that oil has collected on the chassis directly under what looks like a breather from near the oil filter housing. Is it normal for oil to pass down this pipe or is there an imminent problem? Engine sounds quite sweet with supposedly only 88k kilometres on clock. Don't know if oil pressure is ok cos don't know what the gauge should be reading at normal running temp! Surf seems to pull and drive ok but could someone help me out over these oil issues! Paranoid novice surfer !!
          The pipe you describe sounds like the drain pipe from the oil filter housing. As the oil filter is upside down when you slacken off the filter to change it the oil in the filter will drop into the housing and is channeled down this pipe to drain.
          If you are loosing oil from this pipe the filter may be slack.
          The oil pressure gauge on my 3lts reads just under halfway when the engine is cold dropping to around 1/3rd of the way when hot. At tickover the pressure gauge reads just below a quater of the way up. From the posts I have seen this appears to be normal. Apparently the Surf engine has a high oil flow rate rather than high pressure.
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

oil leaks and breathers

Much thanx to silversurf for putting my mind at rest over the oil drain pipe and the oil pressure gauge positions. Everything seems to check out the same but because i've never had a diesel before i didn't have a clue! Paranoid surfer !!

Comment

Working...
            X