Turbo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo question

Can anyone tell me if the turbo light on the dash comes on when the turbo is going or if there's a problem.

It doesnt ever light up on mine and yet I can hear the turbo going.
    When I had it in recently for its MOT the mechanic said when it test drove it he wasnt sure if it was working properly as he didnt feel the turbo give it much of a kick.

Any help?

It depends on what year and engine size you have !

On 2.4 surfs (imported) the light comes on when some (1psi ?) boost is detected, so if it isn't coming on, there is no boost detected; either no turbo or the detector is knackered.

On 3.0 4 runners (UK) the light should not come on while driving (at all), as here it indicates turbo problems.

If you do a search, you'll find some old posts relating to this.

Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by turbotommy
      It depends on what year and engine size you have !

On 2.4 surfs (imported) the light comes on when some (1psi ?) boost is detected, so if it isn't coming on, there is no boost detected; either no turbo or the detector is knackered.

On 3.0 4 runners (UK) the light should not come on while driving (at all), as here it indicates turbo problems.

If you do a search, you'll find some old posts relating to this.

Good luck !
      Hey, Yeah I did a search and found a couple of topics but couldnt really find what I wanted.
      It's a 2.4 imported so it looks like it should be coming on.
      Seeing as I can hear it do you reckon it's just the detector or could it be it's not working properly?
      Cheers.

Comment

........ or if you have a 3rd Gen you don't even get a turbo light.

If you fill in your vehicle details in your profile it will help ensure you recieve the most relevent answers
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Dolph
          Hey, Yeah I did a search and found a couple of topics but couldnt really find what I wanted.
          It's a 2.4 imported so it looks like it should be coming on.
          Seeing as I can hear it do you reckon it's just the detector or could it be it's not working properly?
          Cheers.
          Could even be as simple as a blown bulb.
          Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
            Could even be as simple as a blown bulb.
            Hmmm yeah.
            Should it come on when I start it up?

Done the details in my profile by the way. Cheers for the advice.

Comment

Hmmm yeah.
              Should it come on when I start it up?

Done the details in my profile by the way. Cheers for the advice.
              ......Should it come on when I start it up?......
              AFAIK it does, but in all honesty, I can't remember with certainty. Anybody else .....?
              Maurice

Comment

Hi Dolph,on the 2.4 td inported surf the green turbo light should
                come on with the turbo ie. when hard accelaration,andgoes off when not under load.
                The light does not come on as a "test" on ignition setting on
                the key if thats any help. cheers Chris 2.4td 91 ssx
                lmt.
                GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Chris wrote - "The light does not come on as a "test" on ignition setting on
                  the key if thats any help. cheers Chris 2.4td 91 ssx
                  lmt."

Yes it does!

Neville

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the turbo light on the dash comes on when the turbo is going or if there's a problem.

It doesnt ever light up on mine and yet I can hear the turbo going.
                    When I had it in recently for its MOT the mechanic said when it test drove it he wasnt sure if it was working properly as he didnt feel the turbo give it much of a kick.

Any help?
                    In a majority of cases it is a vacuum hose that is loose,disconnected or has a hole in it.Check all the vacuum hoses especially to and from the turbo pressure sensor.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                      In a majority of cases it is a vacuum hose that is loose,disconnected or has a hole in it.Check all the vacuum hoses especially to and from the turbo pressure sensor.

Neville
                      That doesnt sound bad. I'll check it out. Say it is the hoses is it an easy job to fix or more to the point is it cheap (dont think I could handle another big bill right now)?

Also anyone care to add anything to should the light come on with ignition?

Comment

Sorry Dolph.I've given you duff info yes the turbo green light
                        dose come on with the ignition key,I've only had the car 3 years
                        never noticed it before Regards Chris
                        GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Where abouts in Reading are you?I'm over in Tilehurst off
                          City Road.
                          GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Originally posted by poppy986
                            Where abouts in Reading are you?I'm over in Tilehurst off
                            City Road.
                            I actually live just outside Reading and I'm moving to Woodley in 3 weeks.
                            I do however go to Rivers gym every other day which is basically right at the very end of the Oxford road so you may see me.
                            What colour is yours?

Cheers for the tips about the light. Mine doesnt ome on with ignition so maybe its just a duff bulb.

Comment

It a 91 ssr narrow bodied old girl,grey,it was one of the most
                              standard non messed surfs I found,,looked at loads before I
                              brought this one.I've put wider chrome wheels with BFG's A/Ts.
                              Had the car 3years now with no real problems,had a new rad under
                              warranty cracked top.2 new thermostats and just had a new battery
                              as it started to show signs of it not holding its charge.
                              All ways up and down the Oxford Road as I live in Tilehurst but
                              the kids live with the ex. down in Reading town centre.
                              One of the reasons I got the surf,boys into BMX bikes goes in the
                              back with out having to put the seats down,the girl is into
                              horses,lots of mud and horse poo.
                              It got "off road express" on the back door wich I was going to
                              take off but the kids call it " Oxford Road express" so it remains.
                              Give us a flash in the nices posible way if spotted
                              Regars Chris
                              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Working...
                              X