Possible turbo problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible turbo problems

Does anyone know what it sounds like when the turbo starts to die?
    I only ask because my 2.4 2nd gen is making some very strange noises when driving. The noise is a kind of growl but very loud, it starts at about 1800rpm just as the turbo kicks in and keeps going until it changes gear ( it's an auto ), then it disappears until the revs build up and it starts again.
    I've just replaced the exhaust down pipe as the old one was rusting with a couple of holes in it, did think that might be the cause of the noise but it's still happening.
    I've checked round all the exhaust and manifold joints and there's no leaks, when driving, the sound seems to be coming from behind the firewall under the bonnet, the only thing I can think of is the turbo as that seems to be where the noise is coming from
    Could my turbo be about to die?

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
    Does anyone know what it sounds like when the turbo starts to die?
    I only ask because my 2.4 2nd gen is making some very strange noises when driving. The noise is a kind of growl but very loud, it starts at about 1800rpm just as the turbo kicks in and keeps going until it changes gear ( it's an auto ), then it disappears until the revs build up and it starts again.
    I've just replaced the exhaust down pipe as the old one was rusting with a couple of holes in it, did think that might be the cause of the noise but it's still happening.
    I've checked round all the exhaust and manifold joints and there's no leaks, when driving, the sound seems to be coming from behind the firewall under the bonnet, the only thing I can think of is the turbo as that seems to be where the noise is coming from
    Could my turbo be about to die?
    Whip the hose of and examine the housing for contact and the main spindle for play fella...

Comment

Never had one growl, shrill whine like a dentist drill when mine have failed but never let it go beyond slight contact so maybe it would have gone growler afterwards. Add said, look for compressor shaft end play.

Comment

Have a replacement to swap in, just need to get one of my other cars on the road so I can do the work now

Comment

Working...
        X