Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R151 gearbox to r150

Hi All

I have a 1989 landcruiser bundera with 1 1kz n r151 gearbox. I have a spare r150f gearbox. If the r151 shits itself can it be replaced with the r150 box easily or am i better of selling the r150 and finding another r151?

Should be same apart from first and second gear ratios as far as I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_transmission

Nev.

Comment

Hi Nev

Do you know if the transfer case will bolt straight up and if the output shafts are the same?

The transfer case has the driveshafts offset to the driverside unlike a surf transfer that has the rear driveshaft in the centre

Cheers

Comment

Depend on what the r150 out of...
        There are different variations in the tail housing and t-case connections.
        You really need to pull out the broken tranny and see if the other one fits with the t-case.
        I replaced my r150 to a 151 but had to use another 150's tail housing...

Comment

The r150 is out of a 2.4 turbo surf. The r151 was originally behind the 2.4 in landcruiser but now is behind the 1kz.

The transfer cases in the landcruiser and the surf are obviously different. However I was wondering if the connection to the gearbox would be the same. If the connection is different is it easy to swap the output shaft from one gearbox to the other to suit the transfercase?

Comment

Originally posted by xfman87 View Post
            The r150 is out of a 2.4 turbo surf. The r151 was originally behind the 2.4 in landcruiser but now is behind the 1kz.

The transfer cases in the landcruiser and the surf are obviously different. However I was wondering if the connection to the gearbox would be the same. If the connection is different is it easy to swap the output shaft from one gearbox to the other to suit the transfercase?
            whats the benefit of this?
            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

The r151 has 400km on it and is getting noisey where the r150 is good. The benefit is if I can put the r150 in I don't have to pay to rebuild the r151.

Comment

Originally posted by xfman87 View Post

It is still hard to say. Probably the best would be to pull off the t-case and check if it fits to the other tranny. I think the output shaft won't be the problem. The problem is the t-case actuator shafts located on the top.
                Look at the pics at the bottom of the site. There is a top shift and a forward shift.(how ever on the pics you see gear driven t-case. Yours probably chain driven)
                https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/t...fer-case-bible

(Even the 3rd gen 4runner/hilux surf multimode t-case have both versions...just don't know why??? Toyota using the same auto tranny behind the KZ and the V6 3.4)
                Last edited by maxigaz; 16 August 2016, 19:26.

Comment

Working...
                X