can anyone help with a cam belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone help with a cam belt change

can anyone help with a cam belt change ? i want to change the cambelt on my 1991 surf but i have not a lot of money and a great distrust for garages would anybody (who knows how to do it) like to help me change the cambelt there are beers and food and lots of gratitude for the machanic who helps me im in coventry i can travel and im free any weekend if you can help e mail me at matthew@mat02.fsnet.co.uk many thanks matt

As far as I know the 2.4L cambelt change is a more difficult job than on the 3.0L so I'd be reluctant to tackle it myself.

I did however find a local garage who can service Surfs:

http://www.southwarwickshireautos.co.uk/

Might be worth giving them a call?

Nevillef

Comment

they have had the same 2 surfs in sock for 6 months.. wonder if they will haggle...also they have just got new management
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Try Tony N - You'd have to travel and I do know what he would charge you. At least he has experience with surfs
        NO WORRIES!
        Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          As far as I know the 2.4L cambelt change is a more difficult job than on the 3.0L so I'd be reluctant to tackle it myself.

Nevillef
          Most difficult part of changing the cam belt on a 2.4 is getting the bottom pulley off. Next most difficult is lining up the timing marks and getting the belt on without them moving (the injector pump is sprun right at the timing point).

Apart from that it's easy if you go at it slow and methodical, about 4 hours work for a newbie.

I'd help as I have been off work but I'm starting a new job tomorrow and weekends are pretty much a no-no at the moment - too much on.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            Next most difficult is lining up the timing marks and getting the belt on without them moving (the injector pump is sprun right at the timing point).
            Cheers
            That is easily overcome by having the crank timing mark a tooth out to the left.Put the belt on,release tensioner,turn crank till timing mark aligned and it should be spot on.Works for me but ALWAYS recheck timing marks after tightening everything and rotating crank a couple of times.

Neville

Comment

Yep that's the way I do it too. Seems the only way to be honest.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                they have had the same 2 surfs in sock for 6 months.. wonder if they will haggle...also they have just got new management
                They have a couple of Surfs in stock- never noticed if was always the same two! Hope their mechanics are better than their web site....can't bring up the stock list at all!

It would be nice to find a local garage that knows a bit about Imports though.

Nevillef

Comment

looks like they have sold the 2.4. i went down once- its only down the road, wandered round kicking tyres and looking hopeful, couldnt flush anyone out to talk to....still new management now, might try again. their sites been like that for ages. doesnt inspire, but worth a look i 'spose
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Marton Garage near Leamington has 3 Surfs at the moment. I went to look at thier 'Bigfoot Surf' the other week- what a mess- I'll be surprised if they sell it. They've already knocked £1000 off the asking price. The other two cars weren't bad though.

Nevillef

Comment

have you used this garage are they any good?

Originally posted by laser_jock99

Nevillef
                      i was hoping someone from the forum might do it for me i know a few mechanics but it runs so well now dont want a first time surf mechanic messing it up

Comment

Just how far are you willing to Travel??? I'll give ya a hand
                        But seriously you CAN do it yourself. Like the others said just go slowly and methodically.
                        There is a great write-up on the Aussie site that I followed and it was easy.
                        Hot tip: Pull the radiator out, it gives you heaps more room and a good oportunity to check and clean it.
                        If you are half handy with tools it is 4 hrs work plus a couple of cans
                        Have a look here:
                        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/timingbelt.htm
                        Last edited by simono; 24 February 2005, 22:23.
                        Simon.O.
                        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                        X