centre console trim removal 3rd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centre console trim removal 3rd gen

The trim that surrounds the radio / heater controls etc. How does it come off. I cant find any screws, and it 'feels' like it might just pull off.

Anyone shed any light?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

when i did mine Andy it was just a case of prising the bottom of the surround out until it unclips and work your way around the trim till its all unclipped
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks Rich. Thats what it 'felt' like, just didn't want to break it.

Comment

Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Apache

don't just yank it off, there are hidden screws.

You need to do the following

Remove the centre cubby box between teh front seats (2 10mm bolts and 2 screws at the side), remove the rear heater slider control knob and slide the cenre console backwards about 3"

remove the heater control knobs & surround panel (be careful it can be a bit brittle, get a jewlerrs screwdriver behind it to pop opent the littlt lugs) and behind itthere are 2 screws - top left & bottom right are the ones that hold the radio surround in.

remove the screws and then slowly lift the surroud from the bottom - it's only clipped at the top once you get the screws out - job done. It takes longer to write it that to do it.

refitting is a reversal of removal (thanks Mr Haynes)

hope this helps

hawaii
        I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
          Apache

don't just yank it off, there are hidden screws.

You need to do the following

Remove the centre cubby box between teh front seats (2 10mm bolts and 2 screws at the side), remove the rear heater slider control knob and slide the cenre console backwards about 3"

remove the heater control knobs & surround panel (be careful it can be a bit brittle, get a jewlerrs screwdriver behind it to pop opent the littlt lugs) and behind itthere are 2 screws - top left & bottom right are the ones that hold the radio surround in.

remove the screws and then slowly lift the surroud from the bottom - it's only clipped at the top once you get the screws out - job done. It takes longer to write it that to do it.

refitting is a reversal of removal (thanks Mr Haynes)

hope this helps

hawaii
          Thanks, but I'm on about the grey trim around the edge, not the black trim behind that - though I think I probably will have to take the lot off to do what I'm planning. I need to fit a non ISO radio in there, so I'll probably have to fettle the metalwork too.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Thanks, but I'm on about the grey trim around the edge, not the black trim behind that - though I think I probably will have to take the lot off to do what I'm planning. I need to fit a non ISO radio in there, so I'll probably have to fettle the metalwork too.
            Hi Apache,

Had mine off last weekend to look at what amp outputs my head unit has and it does just pull out. Pull off sliders for heater controls and use a blade to clip off the fascia that surrounds them, mine has a small recess at the top left of this fascia.
            I used a blunt table knife to lever the centre console out where it meets the dash and pulled it out from the top, need to take plug out back of the clock, hazard switch & heated rear screen. Remove plug from back of cigarette lighter and LED from above ash tray and you can lift the whole console straight out, removal takes less than 5 minutes. The metal cage holding the stereo is screwed into the main dash with self tapping screws.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Cheers all.

Just have to try to make time (in daylight!) to do it! My head's up my ar5e with work at the mo.

Will need to drill the roof for the antenna too.

Comment

Mine definitely has two screws holding it in, exactly as hawaii says.

Comment

Stereo change

Just changed my stereo out using these instructions. What a pain in the ass it is! You need a hundred fingers! Sheesh!
                  Surf's up dude!

Comment

dash removal

It's really not that difficult!
                    3rd gen:
                    Lift the black trim around the handbrake straight up, no need to remove completely, just get the clips undone. Lift up the gear lever surround, putting gear lever into neutral etc to give room. No need to remove completely.
                    pull off the two plastic heater control knobs (don't hold too tight - if you slip you will cut your fingers on the fixing pins behind!).
                    CAREFULLY prise out the heater control plastic panel (six clips, 3 each top and bottom).
                    Remove the two screws holding in the dash panel (one each side of heater controls) note left one is bottom screw, right one is top screw)
                    Pull dash trim towards you, disconnect ash tray light (just twist and pull) to give more room.
                    It's a two minute job!
                    Last edited by ajstars; 3 March 2015, 22:25. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ajstars View Post
                      It's really not that difficult!
                      3rd gen:
                      Lift the black trim around the handbrake straight up, no need to remove completely, just get the clips undone. Lift up the gear lever surround, putting gear lever into neutral etc to give room. No need to remove completely.
                      pull off the two plastic heater control knobs (don't hold too tight - if you slip you will cut your fingers on the fixing pins behind!).
                      CAREFULLY prise out the heater control plastic panel (six clips, 3 each top and bottom).
                      Remove the two screws holding in the dash panel (one each side of heater controls) note left one is bottom screw, right one is top screw)
                      Pull dash trim towards you, disconnect ash tray light (just twist and pull) to give more room.
                      It's a two minute job!

Seconded!

I hate removing interior trim, if you don't know what pits you can pull and what bits you can't its a stressfull time!

I remember getting a bit of grief for asking years ago!
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X