yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

auto- little or no drive from stationery, fine at speed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto- little or no drive from stationery, fine at speed!

Hi all - am still struggling with very little power when at low revs - the revs stay almost on tickover even with foot firmly on the floor in high or low ratio, or in low or drive, forward or reverse. Once revs are over (est) 1400, picks up fine and full power comes on. But pulling away from stationery, up a slope, its painfully slow or no movement at all and revs simply dont pick up. Have changed oil air and fuel filters, checked autobox fluid levels and all fine. Worse when hot. Revs up fine when not in drive however, hot or cold ! Any ideas ??

2.4 td auto surf that doesnt overheat !
    Last edited by neil mathews; 2 July 2010, 11:11. Reason: didnt identify which surf !

Interesting one, it revs free in N or P, sounds like something could be seizing in drivetrain, but this would smell or make noise when going alone.

Could be a fuel issue, that it will rev with no load, but not under any sort of load at all.

I'd be temped to take the prop shaft off, and try it in then, see if it does it with only gearbox to spin up.

try the fault codes, could be something electrical that letting it rev when not in gear, but turning off timer control valve when you select gears, like the coolant temp switch, as this does control gearbox shifting and power when the motor is very cold.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      Interesting one, it revs free in N or P, sounds like something could be seizing in drivetrain, but this would smell or make noise when going alone.

Could be a fuel issue, that it will rev with no load, but not under any sort of load at all.

I'd be temped to take the prop shaft off, and try it in then, see if it does it with only gearbox to spin up.

try the fault codes, could be something electrical that letting it rev when not in gear, but turning off timer control valve when you select gears, like the coolant temp switch, as this does control gearbox shifting and power when the motor is very cold.
      Ok will try those suggestions thanks - was also wondering if it could be anything to do with kickdown ? as in trying to pull away in second maybe and never getting into first ? However answering myself, I guess even in second I should hear the revs pick up even if without much acceleration due to 2nd rather than 1st gear. Have greased all driveshaft points - am not aware of any drag, noise or vibration. diff oil levels fine also. Should emphasise, even with a load on once the revs do (eventually) pick up - power is fine which appears to defeat the fuel issue theory. (did 400 mile round trip two weeks ago delivering an xjs on a trailer- above 10mph no problem, below 10mph ! ###### awful - tickover and creeping ever so slowly until over 10mph then acceleration as normal)
      Last edited by neil mathews; 2 July 2010, 15:41.

Comment

could be, more likely the 1st gear solonoid, but you should have a flashing O/D light if it is.

What happens if you select L on the shifter?

Also, unplug the auto box and try it manually, on the passenger side 1/2 way back, there is a black 3 wire plug, if you unplug this then try the truck, it disconnects all the electrics, and you can try all gears without the ECU doing anything, you'll have to do all the gearchanging up and down off the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          could be, more likely the 1st gear solonoid, but you should have a flashing O/D light if it is.

What happens if you select L on the shifter?

Also, unplug the auto box and try it manually, on the passenger side 1/2 way back, there is a black 3 wire plug, if you unplug this then try the truck, it disconnects all the electrics, and you can try all gears without the ECU doing anything, you'll have to do all the gearchanging up and down off the stick.

any more info on this?
          my truck exhibits this problem but only when hot. seems to pull away fine when cold.

may dad experienced it and suggested it didntsound like it was in first.

Comment

Reading through this thread my 2.4TD exhibits the same problems. Was this issue ever finally resolved. to date I have spent a fortune trying to sort. Any technical help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you stand on the brakes and try to give it gas to overpower them, can you? If you are unable to overpower the brakes from a stop, you could have a worn torque convertor. What condition is the tranny fluid in? (Color, smell burnt?)
              '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

IanB2 Many thanks for your prompt response. To answer your questions - under normal driving conditions I am able to "stand on the brakes" and drive away. The fluid has been changed with no burnt smell or discolouration. The symptoms appear worst when the transmission and engine are at normal operating temp. To drive the vehicle from cold the problem is only evident if the vehicle has been parked on an incline. Further suggestions Welcome thanks.

Comment

If you can overcome the brakes, then your brakes are faulty. The torque converter should stall way before the brakes let go.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yeah, especially on a 2.4!!

Comment

Could it be a faulty or modified Lokc-up solenoid?

That sounds alot like what my autobox did with the ECU plugged in

Guaranteed fix: Stuff in a manual!

Comment

Working...
                      X