Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Noises under Bonnet

Hello everybody,
    Not been on here for a while. The Surf has been fine, but recent squealing under acceleration turned out to be the three belts, which have been replaced. This noise, now gone, had been hiding a tinny kind of noise, again under acceleration, which I thought could have been exhaust, or from the turbo area. On investigation, it appears to come from the EGR pipe, where it joins the back of the engine. The alloy pipe is covered in black soot. My local garage is going to blank off this pipe bracket with a plate slid in between the joint. My question is, does anything need to be done at the other end of this pipe, or to the rubber pipes which I assume go to various other parts of the inlet end. Sorry for the lengthy blurb, and thanks in advance if any body can help.

No Takers?

Has nobody done this mod or have I missed something. I have searched the forum, but some posts that contain photographs, have been deleted, or refer to the 2.4 or 2.8 engines. I thought it would require something to be done at the intake side of the engine. Perhaps some kind soul could enlighten me or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Comment

its as common as mud. should be pics around somewhere.
      due to the broken pipe you will have to blank off both ends.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Tweak'e.
        My main concern has been reading about if something else is done as well as blanking off the pipe at both ends. Some people have been talking about ball bearings, cable ties, and possible issues with engine shut off problems. Will blocking at both ends solve the problem, and the other solutions are instead of blocking off the pipe. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Just block the hose for the EGR Valve actuator. Looks like a UFO and will have the hose connected to the top. Some block other hoses but this is what causes rough shutdown, because it disables the small butterfly. Should be pics everwhere here for what you want.

Nev.

Comment

There's a pic of the EGR and the hose you need to block in this link -

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ight=EGR+Valve

Nev.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Nev. The reason that I will have to blank off the EGR pipe is due to a leak at the back of the engine, sounding like a hole in the exhaust. I think the egr pipe has a crack in it, this will stop gasses escaping into the cabin. Do I also block off the rubber pipe as well. Thank you.

Comment

I blanked both ends on mine and completely removed the whole egr system.
                I blocked the small vacuum hose with a bolt I think.
                Runs well 3 years later!
                If your pipe is cracked you need to blank both ports or you will have either an exhaust leak or worse an intake leak!
                The egr valve itself probably won't seal from either end if you only blank one port off. ( it will be full of shit)

Comment

Many thanks to all who have helped in my problem. As an aside, I have to say the Search facility is very much hit or miss. Depending on what you type in the results vary wildly. Why is it that photographs disappear?. Answers on a postcard please.

Comment

Working...
                  X